Torlum Benbecula Inverness-shire Scotland
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological note relating to a stone found on Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula by Archibald MacRury, Bailevanaich [Baile Mhanaich/Balivanich] described as being a small stone with a hole and found in the strand at half-tide 'just below tunga' that summer at Ua Oirisy Mianaish an underground cave between Roisnish and Scarigleoid [Uamh Orasaigh Mheanais, Orasaigh, Meanais, Ròisnis/Rossinish and Sgaraileòd]. There is also a sketch of the stone. MacRury also states that he 'Got bra [quern] found at...
Dates: 29 August 1870
Fragment of a song beginning ' 'S fhada bhuam fhin boom Bein[n] eada' and reminder to collect the rest of it, 27 March 1872
Scope and Contents Fragment of a song which reads ''S fhada bhuam fhin boom Bein[n] eada, S fhada bhuam fhi[n] Bealach a mhodhan' He adds a reminder to collect the rest of the song 'which the beist sang aft[er] she got her cuilein from MacMhuirich' and notes that 'Widow Macrae Wilson Crocnamon Benbecula [is a] good old songstress' [Mary Wilson née MacRae, Cnoc na Mònadh/Torlum, Beinn na Faoghla]. After this is a note which reads 'See Book No 13 page 123'.
Dates: 27 March 1872
List of four prayers or charms with details about where, when and from whom they were collected, c1893
Scope and Contents List of four prayers or charms with details about where, when and from whom they were collected, the items being 'Urnuigh Chadail', 'Eolas an Tairbhin', 'Eolas Beum Sula' and 'Marking the Lamb'.
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Tai mor a Bhailuacraich was this house called at Tolarum' [possibly Kenuachrach, Torlum, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula].
Dates: 29 August 1870
Scope and Contents Notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael but also used by John Ewen MacRury. The front cover bears a sticker which reads 'Gaelic Notes 1894-5. (Collection of traditions, tales, etc. by Alexander Carmichael (?). Many pages cancelled, indicating publication.) [Carmichael Watson Collection]'. The flyleaf reads 'Gaelic Notes, 1894-5' and the rear flyleaf contains a jotting which reads 'Wishing Guidhe'. The beginning of the notebook contains field notes made by Carmichael in Uibhist a Deas/South...
Dates: 12 September 1890 to 1895
Scope and Contents Stories probably collected from Angus Currie, Àird na Monadh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist, relating to the harvest tradition of the 'cailleach', the last sheaf of corn to be cut from the field. The cailleach was sent by someone who had finished cutting his corn to a neighbour who had not finished cutting theirs and was considered to be a great disgrace. One story tells of a man who went on horseback from Bornish to Milton with the cailleach and the recipient was so cross he chased him, caught him...
Dates: 30 October 1872
Scope and Contents Story written down by John Ewen MacRury, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula telling how 'about 37 years' before [c1858] in Cnoc na Monadh/Torlum Alexander Campbell's cow, which was his wife's tocher went missing. He went looking for it calling the cow's name and as he passed a fairy hill called 'Sithean Beag' he heard a voice saying 'Tha mi so tha mi so I am here I am here.' Realising that the fairies had his cow, he took fright that he fled for home. When he arrived he had the appearance of being in...
Scope and Contents Story probably collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Braobh-fhaothal that it is a burying place in Lianacleit close to tolarum [Lionacleit/Liniclate and Torlum, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] and a family who lived there for seven years saw ghosts. One would write in the ashes with its fingers and another had a bare hand holding a caman [stick]. The stick was taken and thrown out to sea but when the man...
Dates: 20 January 1871
Scope and Contents Story collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula telling how when he was about twelve years old [c1798] he remembers the old people going to the tota [tobhta or ruin] at Bail-uachdrach [possibly Kenuachrach] to say their paidir as a pearsa eaglais [priest] was not able to come every Sunday. This suggests that the ruin was originally a church.
Dates: 20 January 1871
Scope and Contents Story and customs written down by John Ewen MacRury, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Leac na gruagaich [Leac na Gruagaich, Beinn na Faoghla, Benbecula], a stone which was on the croft of Angus MacAulay, Liniclate [Lionacleit] at 'Rudha Chuidh Oib or Cuidh an Obain', an old cattle fold. The tradition was to pour a little milk into the hollow of the stone to prevent the gruagaich letting the cattle out of the fold and into the corn. MacRury tells how Raoghnull MacRuaraidh 'a Cuial decendant of...
Dates: December 1894