Skip to main content

Story and customs about Leac na gruagaich, December 1894

Identifier: Coll-97/CW1/57

Scope and Contents

Story and customs written down by John Ewen MacRury, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Leac na gruagaich [Leac na Gruagaich, Beinn na Faoghla, Benbecula], a stone which was on the croft of Angus MacAulay, Liniclate [Lionacleit] at 'Rudha Chuidh Oib or Cuidh an Obain', an old cattle fold. The tradition was to pour a little milk into the hollow of the stone to prevent the gruagaich letting the cattle out of the fold and into the corn. MacRury tells how Raoghnull MacRuaraidh 'a Cuial decendant of Clanranald' was tacksman of Torlum [Cnoc na Monadh] and kept this tradition, as did his son Ronald. Around 1800, when Peter Nicolson from An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye got Torlum 'under still-bow tenure' he refused to follow tradition 'but sheer necessity compelled him to take to the old custom in giving an evening contribution to the gruagach, and he became a firm believer of the story. Even sixteen men failed to keep in the cattle on one occasion.'


  • Creation: December 1894

Language of Materials


Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.


From the Series: 114 folios ; 14 x 20 cm