Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Lismore Argyllshire Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 136 Collections and/or Records:

Note about Druim na Bachuill, 15 August 1883

Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/12
Scope and Contents Note collected from Donald MacGregor, Baile Garbh/Bailegarve, Lios Mòr/Lismore, that the [Baron's family] used to live at Druim na Bachuill but moved to Croc nan tri Chloich[an] opposite Taigh an Deora where Bailgarbh, Bailure and Bailuach[drach] [Baile Garbh, Baile Iubhair/Balure, Baile Uachdarach/Baileouchdarach, Lios Mòr/Lismore] meet.

Note about Druimbì and Clachan on Lios Mòr/Lismore, September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/24
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Druimbì (?e binn?) where sentence was pro[ounced] at the Mod & down on the smoth's croft at Clachan' [possibly Druim Buidhe and Clachan, both Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].

Note about Fear Achnacrois, August 1883

Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/42
Scope and Contents A note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire that Fear Achnacrois brought Irish workers over from Ireland to work lint on Lismore [Lios Mòr] and that this man was a relation of Alexander Carmichael's.

Note about finds at Tom a' Mhòid, August 1883

Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/25
Scope and Contents Note that at Tom a' Mhòid [Lios Mòr/Lismore] skeletons were found along with remains of walls.

Note about Garradh nan Cleireach and the school on Lios Mòr/Lismore, 2 September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/11
Scope and Contents Note about Garradh nan Cleireach [Garadh nan Clèireach] and the school on Lios Mòr/LismoreLios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire that the former was in 'Kil [possibly Killandrist] is sur[rounded] by a garatot [garadh tobhta]' and that the original school was at one time about seven acres and also had land in Bailegarbh.

Note about Lighe sgeir and quarrying rock, September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/84
Scope and Contents Note about Lighe sgeir that it is 'on a line between Musdail and Bearnaray' [Liath Sgeir, Eilean Musdile and Bernera Island, all Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], it was where rock was quarried for gravestones in Iona [Ì Chaluim Chille], that the quarrying marks are still visible and that the rock itself is visible at half tide opposite Cailleach [Campber].

Note about Lon na straioc, September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/50
Scope and Contents Note about Lon na straioc which reads 'There are peop[le] living who saw the run [ruin?] of Lon na straioc down to Tai phuill instead of now down Alltaogain.' [Lòn na Straioc, Taigh Phuill, Allt Aogain, all Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]

Note about Tai an Tiumbain and Caisteal Chaifein [Castle Coeffin], 2 September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/13
Scope and Contents Note about Tai an Tiumbain [Taigh an Tiumbain] that it was the first public house on Lios Mòr/LismoreLios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, that there was a bridge at Bealach a' Chaisteal to cross the plain to Caisteal Chaifein [Castle Coeffin] and that Mac Ri Loch[lann] [son of the King of Norway]'s sister was buried at Eireball.

Note about the Baron of Bachuil, 2 September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/9
Scope and Contents Note about the Baron of Bachuil, that he was the bell-ringer at St Moluag's Cathedral [Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] and that Cair Bharain [Cathair a' Bharain or The Baron's Chair] is a a seat in a rock in a ruin at Gara nan Cleireach [Garadh nan Clèireach].

Note about the caman of Bachuil, September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/70
Scope and Contents Note about the caman of Bachuil which states that it was thought to have been sculpted on a gravestone on the spot where it had grown [Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].