Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Lismore Argyllshire Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 136 Collections and/or Records:

Note about the place 'Tobar nan clarsairean', 6 July 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/12
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Duncan MacNiven, retired schoolmaster, Airds, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, about the place 'Tobar nan clarsairean' that it is 'above Port mu luag Lismore' [Tobar na Slàinte, Port Moluag, Lios Mòr, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.

Note about the plague, August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/17
Scope and Contents Note that it was fish found on the shore which gave the plague to the people of Achadhandrim [[Achadun], Lios Mòre/Lismore]. Note continues in full on folio 7v.

Note about the quarry at Phrènphort, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/55
Scope and Contents Note about the quarry at Phrènphort that it is where the stones for the castle were from. Also notes that the smithy is close by at Bealach and Pein Feannaig [possibly Brenphort, Bealach and Peighinn Feannaig, all Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].

Note about the 'Romhanach' on Lismore, August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/43
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire about the Romhanach [Catholics?] on Lismore [Lios Mòr] and of three burial sites, these being the church [at Clachan], Carn Iain Ghallda and Croc Fhionnlai [Cnoc Fhionnlaigh].

Note about 'Tom-seilg', August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/46
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire about places known as 'Tom-seilg' where men gathered to hunt deer as they were driven past them. Carmichael notes that there was one at Mòine nan Corr at Laganbroac [Lagan Breac].

Note of place-names in Lismore, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/60
Scope and Contents Note of place-names in Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire which reads 'Tai[gh] Laguanach Tai[gh] Bheolain at Larach tai[gh] Bheol[ain] N[orth] of Allt aog[ainn] & Tai[gh] [-]' [Lag Uanach, Beolain, Allt Aogain].

Note on Captain Clapperton and Mungo Park, August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/56
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire that Captain Clapperton was the son of a daughter of Macdugal [MacDougall] of Creaganaich [Creag an Fhithich, Lios Mòr/Lismore] and Mungo Park was the son of the daughter of Campbell of Fiart, [Lios Mòr/Lismore].

Note on 'Cill an t-Suidhe', August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/55
Scope and Contents Note probably collected from Christina Campbell née Macintyre, Lios Mòr/Lismore Earra, Ghàidheal/Argyllshire that Cill[e] an t-Suidhe [Achadh na Croise/Achnacroish, Lios Mòr/Lismore] was used to bury people from the mainland as wolves had been digging up graves and bodies. Carmichael notes that it is 'the burial place of Bail-an righ & Bearigdunn - Dun val-a-rì' [possibly Baile nan Gobhann/Balnagown].

Note on Lios Mòr/Lismore place-names, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/20
Scope and Contents Note on place-names in Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire which reads 'Bailiocrach now B[aile] ur. Frangag a well at Bailegarbh. Cuilcharrain + P[or]t Charrain Bru'ach tai an Deora ruins of houses here. Crocan nan tri [chùran].' [Baile Iubhair/Balure, Bailegarve, Port a' Charrain, Taigh an Deòra, Cnocan nan Trì Chùran].

Note on occupant of Ach-nan-Aird, August 1883

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/15
Scope and Contents Note that the last occupant of Ach-nan-Aird [Lios Mòre/Lismore] was 'Mac-an-lè-mòr a Chaist[eil]'.