Stornoway Isle of Lewis Ross and Cromarty Scotland
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Fragment of the song' Ailean Duinn' and accompanying story and biographical note, 8 July 1870 to 10 December 1883
Scope and Contents Fragment of the song 'Ailean Duinn' collected from Mor Nic Cuinn [Marion MacQueen], aged 79, Tarasaigh/Taransay beginning 'Ail[ein] duinn o hi shiul[ainn] leat, Hi ri ri a bho hi a bho'. The song contains ten lines. The accompanying story explains that Anna nic Dho[mhnuill] ic Iain [Anna Campbell] fell in love with Ailean but the remainder of the text has been deleted and is difficult to make out. Marion stated that her 'great grand father was the last MacCuinn of Oirisey Uist' [Orasaigh,...
Dates: 8 July 1870 to 10 December 1883
Scope and Contents Geological note about Cladh an Airgid 'at east end of Aoi [Aoidh] north side of Stornoway' [Steòrnabhagh, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] including a sketch of the layers of soil.
Dates: October 1873
Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866
Scope and Contents Note collected from Angus MacAulay, aged 82, An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis about Eaglais na h-Aoi [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] that it is the oldest church and burying place in the Isle of Lewis and is connected with St Columba. Also notes that John Wylie [built it], that he had a house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh] and that he was one of the people who had come from Fife [Fiobha].
Dates: 29 August 1868
Scope and Contents Note about Gaelic poetry and its elegance; William Ross's muse, Marion Ross; and accompanying verse beginning 'Ciod an fhuaira tha shuas 'sa bhein'. The pencil text on folio 83r is very faded and difficult to read. A transcription of the text is available.
Scope and Contents Notes and stories on Clan MacLeod of Lewis ['Clann 'ic Leòid 'ic Thorcuil'] collected from Aonas Mac Aulay [Angus MacAulay], aged 82, Croc na h-Aoi, [An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis]. MacAulay describes how 16 or 18 members of the clan are buried 'under the stone at Aoi' [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] having been killed by Iain Garbh in Iain Wylie's house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh]. The last of this clan was said to be a small crofter called Calum MacLeoid mac Thor[cuil] ic Leoid whose...
Dates: 29 August 1868
Scope and Contents Notes on a mill at Loch a chrombaich Farm [Loch Cromlach Farm, Tarasaigh/Taransay] describing how it is 'one of the old Big mills still working' unlike another one 'at Ceann-an Ol at junction of the Avonsui & Storno[wa]y road' [Ceann an Ora and Abhainnsuidhe, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris and Steòrnabhagh, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] which has not been working 'since 10 or 16 y[ea]rs' [c1854-1860]. Carmichael gives a detailed description of the mill including dimensions, construction, that...
Dates: 9 July 1870
Scope and Contents Poem by John Moireson [John Morison] of Bragar [Eilean Leòdhais /Isle of Lewis] about a dilemma he has in having been asked to do a job in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh, Eilean Leòdhais /Isle of Lewis] when he was shearing. The poem begins 'Ma theid me ann' and is noted as being a play on words. It is composed of eight lines. An English version of the poem is given beginning 'If I go'.
Dates: 1874 and 1891
Scope and Contents Story probably collected from a traveller in Isle of Barra [Barraigh] about being given 'salt tobacco and a fine comb' by a shopkeeper In Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] and vocabulary note. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Scope and Contents Story about Clach an Teampuil [Nis/Ness, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] that sick people would travel to use it as a pillow and so be healed of their sickness. It states that people would travel from Skye and that 'Nicolson fr[om] Stornoway' was cured by the stone.
Dates: 27 October 1873