Skip to main content

Garryhellie South Uist Inverness-shire Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Field notebook of Alexander Carmichael, 1874, 1877 and 1891

Identifier: Coll-97/CW108
Scope and Contents Notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing songs, poems, tales, names, vocabulary and expressions collected in the Outer Hebrides [Na h-Eileanan an Iar]. The first part of the volume contains transcriptions taken as Carmichael listened to informants in 1877 while the second part appears to be copies of previous transcriptions of material collected by Carmichael and Rev Malcolm MacPhail in 1874 and written into the notebook in 1891. Amongst the material is a version of the lament...
Dates: 1874, 1877 and 1891

Notes about the origins of the Patons in Uist [Uibhist] and cures, 3 February 1874

Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/49
Scope and Contents Note about the origins of the Patons [or Beatons] in Uist [Uibhist] that they are descended from the Olla[mh] Ileach [Ollamh Ìleach], a celebrated herbalist, who lived at Dallabrog [Dalabrog/Daliburgh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. It notes that 'The cuillion [holly] that he bro[ugh]t is good for cleibh druim', that am maraich [scurvy grass] could be found in cairns on the Strand and that the best water for boiling plants was in Geary heille [Geàrraidh Sheilidh/Garryhellie].
Dates: 3 February 1874

Notes on a barrow entitled 'Treas Bruth na h-Alba', 1877

Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/34
Scope and Contents Notes entitled 'Treas Bruth na h-Alba' on a barrow at/called 'An Crí mcleit' or 'Sithean a Chrimcleit', Gearruith-heille [Geàrraidh Sheilidh/Garryhellie, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] Carmichael notes that 'close to this is [Cross - scored out] Altar an t-Sagairt with a cross cut in the stone'.
Dates: 1877

Notes on a fairy hill, 8 May 1877

Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/59
Scope and Contents Notes on the fairy hill called [Sithein a' Chrì mcleit], Gearyheille [Geàrraidh Sheilidh/Garryhellie, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist].
Dates: 8 May 1877

Notes on Caibeal Mhic Ceallaich [Chapel MacCeallach], 8 May 1877

Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/62
Scope and Contents Notes on Caibeal Mhic Ceallaich [Chapel MacCeallach] at Laig an t Saile [Lag an t-Sà ile] from Alexander Walker, Gearyhille [Geàrraidh Sheilidh/Garryhellie, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that he saw 7 to 8 feet of walls still up about 28 years ago [c1849] 'but much of the place was a heap of seaweed...only the top of the wall visible during spring tide'.
Dates: 8 May 1877

Notes on Crois an t-Sagairt, Garryhellie, South Uist, 8 May 1877

Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/60
Scope and Contents Notes on the cross called Crois an t-Sagairt, [Geàrraidh Sheilidh/Garryhellie, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist], its appearance and where the priest lived in relation to it. He adds that when Sì ne ni[ghean] MhicNeill Barra [Jean MacNeil, daughter of MacNeil of Barra] came to Garryhellie the priest left and that the land was so fertile that every sheep had 3 lambs and each of these lambs had 3 lambs the following year. Opposite the cross is Rudh Hallan [Rubha Hallan] and Dun Ru Hallan [Dùn Rubha...
Dates: 8 May 1877