Skip to main content

Grimsay North Uist (parish) Inverness-shire Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological notes on ancient chapels, 24 May 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/81
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870

Note about the building of Temp[ull] Trian[aid] and S[aint] Michael, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/139
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Aft[er] build[ing] Te[a]mp[ull] Trian[aid], the fui[gh]leach was made to build S[aint] Michael' [Teampull na Trionaid, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist/Teampull Naomh Mhìcheil, Griomsaigh/Grimsay].
Dates: 18 January 1871