Quarries and Quarrying
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Photograph of a team of draught horses pulling a plough driven by one man while another works to remove rock and soil from one of the American Museum [of Natural History?] quarries in central Wyoming in the early/mid 20th century.
Scope and Contents Brown writes that he is sorry that Ewart and the other members of the Committee were 'exposed to an ungracious reception' by the District Committee and the County Council, but that thanks to Ewart's efforts, 'the rock gets a breathing space' and Brown will contribute towards the cost of testing and opening up the quarry on the opposite side. He enquires whether Ewart is familiar with a reference to the horses of the Maetae in Scriptores Historiae Augustae.
Dates: 22 September 1911
Scope and Contents Letter with envelope to Sir Charles Lyell from W. L. Carnegie asking for information and advice on geological matters. He requests that Lyell might tell him where to find publications of Lyell's work and which publication about Trap he should buy. He discusses his work at quarries near Newcastle and relates a story (with diagram) about contractors there. He also mentions that he has discovered a quarry with superior material and expects to be able to supply Arbroath with cheap, high quality...
Scope and Contents Note about a quarry on Tarasaigh/Taransay which reads 'Near Uamh Mhic Cailein [possibly Uamh Mhic Ailein] is a quarry of flags as fine as any of the Caithness flags. It c[o]u[l]d be worked to advantage. Flags were taken from here to Fincastle.'
Dates: 10 July 1870
Scope and Contents Note about Lighe sgeir that it is 'on a line between Musdail and Bearnaray' [Liath Sgeir, Eilean Musdile and Bernera Island, all Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], it was where rock was quarried for gravestones in Iona [Ì Chaluim Chille], that the quarrying marks are still visible and that the rock itself is visible at half tide opposite Cailleach [Campber].
Dates: September 1870