Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 56 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note on archaeological sites around Barraigh/Isle of Barra, including a cromleac [cromlech] at Cliff [Dùn Cliobh], a well there which was destroyed, Chreaga La'uir, Dunanrua [Dùn Loch nic Ruaidhe] and Castle Loch Tangasdale [Dùn Mhic Leòid].
Dates: September 1872
Scope and Contents Note on place-names in Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire which reads 'Bailiocrach now B[aile] ur. Frangag a well at Bailegarbh. Cuilcharrain + P[or]t Charrain Bru'ach tai an Deora ruins of houses here. Crocan nan tri [chùran].' [Baile Iubhair/Balure, Bailegarve, Port a' Charrain, Taigh an Deòra, Cnocan nan Trì Chùran].
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note on the places 'Aber-tibirt' and 'Tobar-thubirt' which reads 'Aber-tibirt at the head of Loch tiacais. Morver[n] Tobar-thibirt = Smercleit'. [Ardantiobairt, Loch Teacuis, A' Mhorbhairne/Morvern, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire and Smeircleit, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Scope and Contents Note on the wells at the graveyards Cladh Mhartain at Malacleit [Cladh Mhàrtainn, Malaclate] and Cladh Pheadair at Sollas [Solas, both Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and their physical situations.
Dates: 24 March 1869
Scope and Contents Note possibly about effigies at Tobar Chuiralain [Tobar Churalain, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], collected from Donald MacColl, brocair (fox hunter), Glencreran, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, which reads 'Pins stuck in cork wood on Tobar Chur[alain], & rings'.
Dates: 27 September 1883
Scope and Contents Note [possibly saying] which reads 'Tobar nam buadh an Iobarta fhuair an fhior iomal an domhain[n] mhoir - fag end of creation.'
Dates: 3 February 1874
Scope and Contents Notes about Lismore church [Lios Mòr, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that it was 'built by the Papists but not roofed', that 'The upper gable was the lower gable before' and that 'The session ho[use] was at the back'. The church was also described as being 'noth[in]g but cabers all over the church & empty space'. A mention is also made of 'Tobar a bhaiste' which was situated close to the church.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Story about the son [of Campbell of Airds] punished by his father for his iconoclasm [burning the saints’ images]. His father refused him a drink to slake his thirst. When he did get one, from Tobar Chuiralainn [Tobar Churalain, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], he died. The others involved in the burning died ‘in great suffering agony’. Also notes that coins are left by the well by pilgrims and that Todd of Dumfries, farmer in Sallachuil drank from the well and was told by MacLaurin, the school...
Dates: 29 August 1883
Notes and story about Naomh Moire [Maol-ruibhe], Naomh Brian[ain] and associated archaeological sites, 1867
Scope and Contents Notes and story about Naomh Moire [Maol Rubha], Naomh Brian[ain] [Brendan] and associated archaeological sites probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay. The notes describe Tobar Chal[uim] Chille [St Columba's Well] as a muddy spring in a small gully east of the lighthouse [Barra Head, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] and how St Maol Rubha's day was celebrated on Berneray 'as long as any of the old friamh had rel[atives] buried in the Cladh.' St Maol Rubha had a...
Scope and Contents Notes about sheep and wool in the St Kilda archipelago that the sheep are not fleeced but pulled, that the wool on 'sheep in Bor[eraigh]' [Borerary] is one and a half [inches] long and that there is a 'well in top of Lei - no grass' [Stac Lee]. The vocabulary notes read '"Ruagadh" = catching sheep'; 'Giaraiste = ab[ou]t 9 fath[oms] of rope which S[aint] K[ildans] carry like a non-com[mi]s[sioned] off[ice]rs shash [sash]' and 'Rusgadh = Signalling'.
Dates: June 1887