Skip to main content

Emigration and Immigration

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = Baillie

Found in 25 Collections and/or Records:

Argentina Immigration, 1870s-1930s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1434/1077
Scope and Contents Photograph of an illustration depicting the progressive rise of immigration into Argentina between 1867 and 1907.
Dates: 1870s-1930s

Article entitled "‘A Froebel trained “Scot” from Edinburgh’: Miss Isabel Little (1876-1937)." by Dr Helen May, 2020

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1848/20-0110
Scope and Contents This paper is a part of a publication on Scots in New Zealand and relates the life of Isabel Little, a "Froebel trained Scot from Edinburgh" who studied at the Free Church Training College, Moray House and who emigrated to New Zealand in 1912. The paper was written by Dr Helen May, Emeritus Professor at the University of Otago, and was prepared for The International Froebel Society (IFS) conference planned in Edinburgh for June 2020. The conference was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic,...
Dates: 2020

Canadian Emigration in 1921, 1870s-1930s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1434/2515
Scope and Contents Article on the emigration statistics of British children to Canada in 1921, specifically those sent over from the Barnardo's charity. It notes that more children were sent to Canada than to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa combined.
Dates: 1870s-1930s

Canadian Immigration Figures, 1870s-1930s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1434/2506
Scope and Contents Description of Canadian immigration figures issued by the Department of Immigration and from where they arrived in the early 20th century.
Dates: 1870s-1930s

Incomplete story about duns and Lochlannaich [Vikings], 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/47
Scope and Contents Incomplete story about duns and Lochlannaich [Vikings] describing how the people in Dùn Mhiùghlaigh [Miùghlaigh/Mingulay] were throwing arrows at the people on Githarum [Gèarum Mòr] and the Lochlannaich so that they had to move to Dùn Bhriste [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] but the Miùghlaigh people attacked them again and they had to move further and further north to get away from them. The incomplete part of the story begins to tell about the arrival of a Lochlannaich vessel with wood.
Dates: 1867

Journal account of departure of Eoghan Carmichael's departure for Africa, 6 May 1893 to 13 May 1893

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126g/1
Scope and Contents Journal account written by Alexander Carmichael of the departure of his son Eoghan for Africa describing seeing him off at Waverley Station, Edinburgh, noting who met him in London and that he set sail on the 'SS Scot' from London, England for Chinde, East Africa [Mozambique]. Of his departure, Carmichael writes 'Poor darling boy! We shall not see him at the soonest for five years - perhaps never. God alone knows. This is the first break in the family.'
Dates: 6 May 1893 to 13 May 1893

Letter to Sir Donald Francis Tovey from [Daniel Darly], 05 May 1932

 Item
Identifier: Coll-411/1/1/L1968
Scope and Contents Letter, 5 May 1932, County Down, [Daniel Darly] to Donald Tovey. Discussing the issue of foreign musicians being allowed to play in Britain, responding to a letter from Tovey. Holograph signed.
Dates: 05 May 1932

Miscellaneous, 1915-1938

 Series
Identifier: BAI 1/23
Scope and Contents Selection of miscellaneous notes and ephemera, including items removed by John Baillie from his pocket book on different occasions (including United States Immigrant Identification cards for himself and his wife, syllabus cards and agendas of meetings). Also includes notes on ecumenism, press cuttings and calling cards of Rev. John Baillie of Gairloch.
Dates: 1915-1938

Note about Eaglais na h-Aoi, 29 August 1868

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/4
Scope and Contents Note collected from Angus MacAulay, aged 82, An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis about Eaglais na h-Aoi [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] that it is the oldest church and burying place in the Isle of Lewis and is connected with St Columba. Also notes that John Wylie [built it], that he had a house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh] and that he was one of the people who had come from Fife [Fiobha].
Dates: 29 August 1868