University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
George Square Redevelopment: plans and drawings for Edinburgh University Main Library and Liverpool University Library, 1960-1967
3 copy pencil perspective drawings (38cm x 58cm) of the proposed University of Edinburgh Science Faculty Buildings, for 1st year students, at George Square in Edinburgh. These buildings were never constructed. One has pencil annotations of calculations.
Set of 2 copy elevations to George Square (58cm x 134cm and 21cm x 104cm) of the proposed University of Edinburgh medical school extension. The elevations are by Walter Ramsay. The larger elevation is in 2 parts which fit together to show the whole of the north side of George Square. The smaller elevation is hand-coloured. They show slightly different designs for the buildings.
Set of 13 copy plans (39cm x 74cm) for the proposed University of Edinburgh medical school extension - phase 1b and 1c, at George Square, Edinburgh. The plans are by John Musgrove at 1/16" to 1' scale.
University of Edinburgh - Medical school extension plans - Department of Pharmacology, May - June 1965
Set of 12 copy plans (76cm x 101cm) for the proposed University of Edinburgh medical school extension - Department of Pharmacology. The department is designed by Walter Ramsay Architects. The plans include 9 floor plans, 2 elevations and a sheet of details and sections, all at 1/8" to 1' scale.
Set of 6 copy plans (36cm x 68cm) for the proposed University of Edinburgh medical school extension - phases 1b and 1c. The extension is designed by Walter Ramsay. The plans include 5 floor plans and an elevation to George Square, all at 1/16" to 1' scale.