University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
- Existence: 1583-present
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 134 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents At E2008.33, the collection of Prize orders, medals, and medallions awarded to William Hunter is composed of: - the Serbian Order of St. Sava - bejewelled breast Star - the Serbian Order of St. Sava - Medallion/Badge with ribbon; the obverse of the cross bears an oval enamelled portrait of the bishop St. Sava, the centre of which is encircled by blue and the motto of the order in old cyrillic...
Collection — Box: CLX-A-352
Content Description A bronze and a silver medals in their cases awarded to Peter Haugh in the University's Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies for Zoology and Botany (1903-1904) and for Clinique (1906-1907); and three bronze medals from Edinburgh University awarded to Samuel M. Inkster for Chemistry (1869), General Pathology and Morbid Anatomy (1870-1871) and Practice of Medicine (1872-1873). Also includes an article by Gregor Macaulay explaining the medals.
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 14 academic session medals (5 silver and 9 bronze) awarded to James Roland Rider between 1913 and 1918. The medals were awarded by both the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College, Edinburgh, and the Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland.The medals can be described thus: - 1913 - silver - obverse: decorated with raised seated classical figure with Scottish armorial shield...
Scope and Contents 1 x silver medal - Annual Prize - Perth Academy - awarded to William A. Knowles 1882-1883 - 1st student Senior Mathematical and Physical Class 1 x silver medal - Annual Prize - Perth Academy - awarded to William D[sic]. Knowles 1884-1885 - 1st student Senior Latin Class 1 x bronze medal -Edinburgh University - awarded to William A. Knowles 1885-1886 - Junior Mathematics ...
Fonds — Box: EUA-A-48
Identifier: EUA GD5
Scope and Contents Note written by William Turnbull contating details about him, his wife Cecilia, and Thomas Wilkie, which describes their idea, along with three cuttings taken from The Scotsman. One includes an item on Popery in the Highlands by John Stuart Blackie, with a related poem on the establishment of Fort Augustus. Another reports weather conditions. The third includes coverage of a meeting of the Free Church Presbytery in Edinburgh.
Scope and Contents This MS letter, addressed to 'Dear Sir', was written by Violet Jacob at Domaine de la Congue, Vence, in the Alpes Maritimes, France, on 6 April [no year] and presumably in 1936, given the reference in the letter to 'the honour done'. 1936 was the year in which she received the LL.D. from Edinburgh University. Domaine de la Congue is the location of a French 'Maison de retraite', a sanatorium for veterans today. The letter tells of how the letter reached her 'after various adventures' and that...
Scope and Contents This volume of notes is based on Monro's surgical lectures at Edinburgh Medical School, 1774-1775. The manuscript lectures are sub-headed Lectures 1-13 and are in two distinct hands - the first two lectures in one, and the rest in another. The paper is watermarked with a crown and the initials GR, undated, but this L.V.Gerrevink paper commonly used throughout much of the 18th century. Both hands are clear and legible, with just a few corrections, and occasional additions written on the verso of...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-999
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two volumes of manuscript notes from the classes of 'Regional Anatomy', 1934-1935, and numbered Volume II and Volume III:
- - Volume II is concerned with the 'Thorax and brain'
- - Volume III is concerned with the 'Head and neck'
Scope and Contents The two volumes forming the collection contain a set of notes on Professor Crum Brown's lectures taken in Winter Session 1892-3 by George Burns (then residing in Grange Road, Edinburgh), in a clear and legible hand. The volumes are labelled on first pages as; Chemistry 1; and, Chemistry 2. They are stamped on the spine as 'Note Book' and on the front boards with the University badge.
Scope and Contents Heavily annotated Outlines of Mechanical Philosophy with inserts, bearing extensive manual revisions from as late as 1803.