University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 280 Collections and/or Records:
University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre: reports and photographs of architectural models, 1967-1970
Items relating to the development of the University of Edinburgh Student Amenity Centre. These include: a packet of photographic prints and negatives of a rough architectural model of the planned centre, a copy of Percy Johnson-Marshall's official development report for the centre, a photographic print (23cm x 33cm) of a finished architectural model of the centre which was used as an illustration in the report and a booklet appealing for funds to build a new chaplaincy centre.
4 copies of statistical bar-charts (76cm x 84cm) for the University of Edinburgh. Two chart student population growth from 1938-1982 and two chart faculty growth over the same period.
Contents of a file which contains incomplete sets of committee papers for the University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee. They include minutes, agenda, reports for committee and committee papers. The papers relate the Percy Johnson-Marshall's work as a member of the committee.
University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee: minutes and correspondence, October 1973- September 1978
Contents of a file numbered VII E.U.10 and entitled Works and Buildings Committee, covering October 1973 to September 1978. The majority of the file consists of incomplete sets of minutes of meetings of the University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee . Some correspondence concerning the work of the Committee is also included.
Miscellaneous papers relating to Percy Johnson-Marshall's work on the University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee. These include: minutes and notes of meetings, memos and correspondence, plans, reports and financial plans.
University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee: Sub-committee and Working Party Papers, 1984-1985
Assorted papers relating to one sub-committees and two working parties of the University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee. These are: the Grounds Maintenance Sub-Committee, Upgrading of Old College Working Party and Working Party Considering Access to the Old College from West College Street
Contents of a personal file containing incomplete sets of University of Edinburgh Works and Buildings Committee Sub-committee papers and related correspondence. The sub-committees represented are the Parking Sub-committee and the Grounds Maintenance Sub-committee. The file was closed in December 1974
Volume contains manuscript notes on the geometry of motion, on materials science, and on astronomy; some jotted diagrams and tables attend.