University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
- Existence: 1583-present
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 74 Collections and/or Records:
University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: Buccleuch Place redevelopment, 1969-1972
Scope and Contents Buccleuch Place redevelopment consists of:
- plans: proposed alterations for various houses in Buccleuch Place, (1951-1972)
- plans: Buccleuch Place survey - preliminary survey of accommodation as used May 1969, (1969)
University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: miscellaneous areas, 1960-1979
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: miscellaneous areas consists of:
- feasibility studies of miscellaneous areas, (1971-1979)
- plans of miscellaneous areas, (1960-1970)
University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area Review - aerial photographs, c1969-c1980
Scope and Contents A bundle of 7 oblique aerial photographic prints (20cm x 25cm) of central Edinburgh. 5 show the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. One shows the St James Centre in detail, while the remainder shows an area around the city's west end. 5 of the photographs are stamped on the rear by Scotsman Publications Ltd and have their original reference number and date. The remaining 2 photographs show close up detail of George Square and Bristo Square. One of these photographs is in...
University of Edinburgh development: city development plan, 1969-1979
Scope and Contents Hand colour coded land-use plan (75cm x 85cm) overlaid on 1:1250 Ordnance Survey base plan. It shows the University of Edinburgh Development Area with acreages indicated for each land-use parcel. There are reference numbers for each parcel, but no key to what they mean.
Found in: University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections / PJM, The Percy Johnson-Marshall Collection / Percy Johnson-Marshall Associates / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962) / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): general maps and plans
University of Edinburgh development: collected associated material: press clippings and media articles, 1965-1988
Scope and Contents A file of press-clippings, and magazine or journal articles relating to the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area. These include articles in architecture journals such as The Architect's Journal , the University of Edinburgh Bulletin and local papers such as The South Side News and ...
University of Edinburgh Development Committee: committee minutes and papers, 1976-1984
Scope and Contents Incomplete set of agenda, papers and minutes for the University of Edinburgh Development Committee from 1976-1984. Percy Johnson-Marshall attended these meetings in his role as planning consultant to the University of Edinburgh. The papers chart decisions and progress concerning University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area .
University of Edinburgh Development Committee: miscellaneous sub-committee papers, 1978-1985
Scope and Contents Contents of an original file containing miscellaneous minutes, agenda, papers and correspondence concerning the work of three sub-committees of the University of Edinburgh Development Committee, which Percy Johnson-Marshall sat on as part of his duties as planning consultant to the University. The sub-committees represented are: the Central Area Development Sub-committee, the Science Faculty Development Sub-committee and the Conservation Group Sub-committee.
University of Edinburgh: George Square Redevelopment - north side, 1964
Scope and Contents Set of 3 1:500 scale manuscript plans on tracing paper, some with "letraset" and "letra-tone", showing proposals for the north side of George Square. One includes data concerning the number of car parking spaces and one includes a south elevation.
University of Edinburgh King's Buildings - development plans, 1962-1970
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh King's Buildings - development plans consists of: 1 copy of an Ordnance Survey transparancy (102cm x 144cm) of the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings area at 1:500 scale. 1 copy of an Ordnance Survey transparancy (72cm x 115cm) of the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings area at 1:1250 scale with a legend to building names. 1 Ordnance Survey...
Found in: University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections / PJM, The Percy Johnson-Marshall Collection / Percy Johnson-Marshall Associates / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area / University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development / University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: development plans
University of Edinburgh: maths and physics site - High School Yards, c1970
Scope and Contents Set of 5 manuscript plans (25cm x 30cm) probably by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates giving different possibilities for the use of the vacant High School Yards site at the University of Edinburgh. One of the possible uses is as a site for maths and physics. The plans are in ink and felt-tip pen. There is no key to the coloured areas or figures given on the plans, although some of the coloured areas are marked for car-parking and show possible traffic circulation.
Found in: University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections / PJM, The Percy Johnson-Marshall Collection / Percy Johnson-Marshall Associates / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: miscellaneous areas / University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area: plans of miscellaneous areas