Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:

University of Edinburgh campus parking facilities: parking George Square Lane, c1972

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/F/2.4
Scope and Contents 2 copy plans (66cm x 90cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates showing parking arrangements for George Square Lane at the University of Edinburgh. The first plan is manuscript and shows the parking layout at 1:500 scale. The second plan is semi-manuscript and shows parking, roads and pavements in coloured letratone also at 1:500 scale.

University of Edinburgh campus wide development issues, 1957-1984

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/F
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh campus wide development issues consists of: site plans and site use survey, (1975) campus parking facilities, (1957-1972) "An Expanding University" - permanent exhibition of university development at Adam House, correspondence, papers and photographs, (1960-1984) development accounts, (1973-1980) published maps of the...

University of Edinburgh: CDA proposals, 1969

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.6
Scope and Contents Set of 4 copy plans at 1:1250 scale (95cm x 137cm) by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates showing building positions and road layout designs for the proposed comprehensive development of the University of Edinburgh campus. One is a sketch plan showing building location in relation to road requirements. Three are overlaid on Ordnance Survey 1:1250 plans of the area. Two of these have identical base plans but are hand-coloured, one to show primary and secondary distributor roads, the other...

University of Edinburgh Central Area, c1962

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.12
Scope and Contents 2 manuscript 1:500 transparencies, probably by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates, one of the Potter Row / Nicolson Street area of the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (50cm x 50cm) and one of the future Bristo Square area (71cm x 87cm). These plans are probably traced from Ordnance Survey plans and intended as base maps for future plans.

University of Edinburgh central area development, 1979

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.2
Scope and Contents Set of 12 themed plans, of the University of Edinburgh central area development. 8 are coloured manuscript, overlaid on the same 1:2500 scale Ordnance Survey plans and titled "University of Edinburgh central area development". One is a base plan. Several have large numbers stencilled on the lower left hand corner and are sub-titled as follows: 1.01 - buildings listed in the statutory list of...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1925-c1980

 Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B
Scope and Contents Collected material relating to the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area as a whole, or different locations within it.: University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, (1962) interim reports, (1969-1970 staffing issues, (1961-1962) general correspondence, sub-committee papers and minutes, (1973-1977) development of...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1964

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.1
Scope and Contents Set of 21 themed plans, overlaid on the same area of an Ordnance Survey plan, showing the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962). 20 are at 1:2500 scale and cover the themes: commerce and industry, retail shops and service trades, land use, existing bus routes, existing sewers, existing mains water, existing gas mains, existing high voltage cables, existing low voltage cables, existing post office underground plant, existing water mains, zoning plan, proposed road plan,...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area, 1962

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.8.8
Scope and Contents Set of manuscript transparancy architectural layout plans, by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates, at 1:1250 scale, with "letratone" areas numbered 2-6 (no 1 missing), showing the commercial area of the proposed comprehensive redevelopment of the University of Edinburgh campus. The first 4 show plans at different levels of the development - ground level, mezzanine storage level, deck level, and roof level. The final plan shows an elevation section through the development. These...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962), 1950-1964

 Sub-Series
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1
Scope and Contents University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962) consists of: background information, (1950-1962) preparation documents, (1961) preparation photographs, (c1961) drafts and final booklet published, (1962-1963) architectural model, (1962) photographs of architectural models, (1961-1962) lectures and...

University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area (1962): demolition maps and plans, c1960

 File
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/1.9
Scope and Contents Plans relating to the demolition of housing in Edinburgh within the University of Edinburgh Comprehensive Development Area and nearby streets. The plans consist of a detailed Project Plan by the Corporation of the City of Edinburgh's City Engineers Department for the East Adam Street area. This is accompanied by a detailed 1:500 scale plan (35cm x 40cm) of the area, hand-coloured to cross reference demolition areas to the project plan. There are also 4 copy 1:1250 Ordnance Survey transparencies...