Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1583-present

The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 278 Collections and/or Records:

Lecture Notes of John Robison

 Fonds
Identifier: Coll-204
Scope and Contents Lecture notes from the time when Robison was Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh. The notes embrace the sciences of mechanics, hydrodynamics, astronomy and optics, together with electricity and magnetism.

It is assumed that these are Robison's own notes but this has not been verified.
Dates: c1779-c1801

Letter from Charles H Stewart, Secretary to the University of Edinburgh, to Thomson regarding the acceptance of an Endowment from the Thomson Research Fund for a lectureship in Educational Research, 24 Mar 1949

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/1/11
Scope and Contents From the Series: Includes letters to and about Thomson regarding his life, work, and career from a variety of correspondents including Karl Pearson, Egon Pearson, Edward Lee Thorndike, Sir James Duff, Carlos Paton Blacker, David Glass, and Derrick Lawley.
Dates: 24 Mar 1949

Letter from one of Thomson's former students, Margaret Ward Dyer (née Hinman), 20 Feb 1955

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/26/25
Scope and Contents Dyer states how much Thomson meant to her, how he influenced her, and how much she enjoyed being in his B. Ed class.
Dates: 20 Feb 1955

Letter from Prof John MacMurray, 10 Feb 1955

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/26/8
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series: Contains letters from contemporaries, colleagues, friends, and former students including: Carlos Paton Blacker, David Glass, Prof John MacMurray, Sir Thomson Buston Robson, Sir James Learmonth, Sir Edward Appleton, Sir Edmund Whittaker, and Professor Edwin Bidwell Wilson. The letters recall Thomson's life and work, and what he meant to the sender. In many cases, the letters have annotations by Lady Thomson giving biographical information about the sender and their relationship to...
Dates: 10 Feb 1955

Letter from Professor David J Finney to Thomson regarding the use of maximum likelihood, 13 May 1952

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/1/16
Scope and Contents Thomson has inscribed the letter The paper was A Dueit Deduction of the constant process used in the method of right and wrong cases, The Psychological Review, Vol 26, No 6, Nov 1919, pp 454-464.
Dates: 13 May 1952

Letter from Thomson to Hector regarding the presentation of his portrait with invitation and newspaper cuttings from the event, 12 Nov 1950

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/21
Scope and Contents From the Series: Includes letters to and about Thomson regarding his life, work, and career from a variety of correspondents including Karl Pearson, Egon Pearson, Edward Lee Thorndike, Sir James Duff, Carlos Paton Blacker, David Glass, and Derrick Lawley.
Dates: 12 Nov 1950

Letter to Derrick Lawley from Thomson regarding Factor Analysis and Lawley's paper on the subject, 5 Oct 1941

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/6
Scope and Contents The letter is written on the reverse of preliminary notices for the 12th International Congress of Psychology.
Dates: 5 Oct 1941

Letter to Lady Clara Tovey from W. G. Fleming, 21 October 1940

 Item
Identifier: Coll-411/1/1/L2143
Scope and Contents Letter, 21 October 1940, Edinburgh, W. G. Fleming to Clara Tovey. Covering letter for a special minute of a meeting of the University of Edinburgh senate, expressing sympathy at the death of Tovey. Typescript signed, with envelope, with special minutes from the last meeting of the University of Edinburgh senatus, [2]p. 32 x 20cm.
Dates: 21 October 1940

Letter to Lady Thomson from Sir Edward Appleton, Principal of the University of Edinburgh, 16 Feb 1955

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1310/1/1/26/24
Scope and Contents Appleton offers his condolences on behalf of the whole University, stating how much Thomson meant to the University, and referring to his influence on the many students he taught.
Dates: 16 Feb 1955