Northern Lighthouse Board. Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses (1786-)
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael probably while he lived at 31, Raeburn Place, Edinburgh, as this address is written in ink on the first folio. Written on the inside front cover but heavily scored is text which reads 'Mrs Malcolm MacLeod, [- Islay], widow of Mal[colm] MacLeod [Loch-]. The majority of the notebook contains material collected from Donald Currie, crofter, Ìle/ Islay relating folklore and natural history about the birds, fish, shellfish and animals found in and...
Scope and Contents Notes on the Beàrnaraigh/Berneray [Barra Head] lighthouse describing its situation and the strength of the seas around it, including how sheep sometimes put out to graze on Sgeir Chriosnain 'A green square island which lies in the sound between Ber[neray] and Miulay [Miùghlaigh/Mingulay] and which stands about 100 ft high...have been known to have been swept clean off by one wave' and how on Berneray 'large squ[are] stones...[some] weigh 80 tons...were knocked about on the rocky ledges as if...
Scope and Contents Story about the building of a lighthouse on Eilean O-bharsa [Orasaigh/Orsay, Ìle/Islay] that it was built over [Hugh] Mackay's tomb by the Commissioners of Lighthouses [Northern Lighthouse Board] and that whole bodies were wheeled down to Geo-cho'air [Geòdh Chobhair]. The vocabulary note states that 'Seargach' 'Sea foam' or 'tough foam' and 'Co'ar' [cobhar] is 'fresh water foam'.
Dates: June 1887
Scope and Contents Story about the death of [Hugh] MacKay of Rinns of Islay [Na Roinn Ìleach, Ìle/Islay] that he was 'killed by Mac Lathartaich at Cill Mhic O Charmaig Knapadale...when Mac Aoi [was] going in for a drink' [Cill Mo Charmaig/Kilmachcharmick/Keillmore]. MacKay asked to be buried in Eilean O'arsay [Orasaigh/Orsay] and was only eighteen when he was killed. The tomb is noted as having an inscription and being built on by the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses [North Lighthouse Board]. The story is...
Dates: June 1887