Skip to main content

Story about the building of a lighthouse on Eilean O-bharsa [Orsay] and vocabulary note, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/75

Scope and Contents

Story about the building of a lighthouse on Eilean O-bharsa [Orasaigh/Orsay, Ìle/Islay] that it was built over [Hugh] Mackay's tomb by the Commissioners of Lighthouses [Northern Lighthouse Board] and that whole bodies were wheeled down to Geo-cho'air [Geòdh Chobhair]. The vocabulary note states that 'Seargach' 'Sea foam' or 'tough foam' and 'Co'ar' [cobhar] is 'fresh water foam'.

Dates

  • June 1887

Language of Materials

English Gaelic

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 53 folios ; 17.2 x 10.5 cm

Physical Location

5.07

Physical Location

folio 17v, line 4 to folio 17v, line 17

Bibliography

Northern Lighthouse Board, 'Rinns of Islay': http://www.nlb.org.uk/LighthouseLibrary/Lighthouse/Rinns-of-Islay/
Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, St Orain's Chapel, Orasay, Islay: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/37250/details/islay+orsay+island+chapel/

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379