Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM Use also for graveyards.
Found in 92 Collections and/or Records:
Account of a fishing trip around Mingulay with accompanying place-name notes, descriptions and stories, 23 May 1869
Scope and Contents Account by Alexander Carmichael of a fishing trip around Miulay [Miùghlaigh/Mingulay] with accompanying place-name notes, descriptions and stories. Carmichael notes geographical features such as high points, caves, rocks or arches; archaeological sites such as dùns or graveyards; places people have used for looking after livestock or catching birds and fish, noting breeding grounds or habits of some birds; and sea-faring items such as the conditions of the sea or navigation techniques. One...
Dates: 23 May 1869
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series: A collection of newspaper and magazine cuttings covering issues relating to the LGBTQ+ community.
Dates: 12 May 1999
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about 'Bo-na-cille', that there were stones with lime coming up with hooks and that there was the form of a church and [circle] there. Also notes that Cladh Baile-na-Cille is the name of the graveyard now at Scarista [Bodha na Cille and Scarasta both Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris].
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Archaeological note which reads, 'North of Roglas [Roe Glas, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] the Rev Alex[ander] Campbell priest Bornish [Bornais] saw a mile of the machair closely cover[ed] over with ciste where the wind blew away the sand.'
Dates: 7 September 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological note collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] which reads 'Cladh Muluag Treisnish 3ft standing cross stone. Small arms of cross - worn.' [Cladh Moluaig/Kilmaluig, Triesnis/Treshnish, Am Muile/Isle of Mull]
Dates: 7 August 1886
Scope and Contents Archaeological note on a burial site at Dungaineach [Dùn Gaimhnich/Dunganichy, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] stating that it is at the 'bealaich on the machair' and that beside it was a heap of bones and ashes. The graves are surrounded 'by stones on edge with lintels across top of the lintels [causewayed] over with small peb[bles] carefully.' Carmichael adds that there is a similar place at Carnan Dhiarma[i]d in Iocar [Ìochdar, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]
Dates: 29 August 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on ancient chapels written at Keallun [Ceallan/Kallin, Griomasaigh/Grimsay] including that there is a fine view from from it and that this must be the chapel to which Martin Martin refers as there is no chapel on Rona [Rònaigh/Ronay]. Carmichael states that as Martin Martin only spoke of one chapel, the chapel and burying ground pointed out cannot have been in existence two hundred years before when Martin was writing. He refers to it as the Lowlanders Chapel and states...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Archaeological notes on Kildonan and accompanying notes on Flora MacDonald and her husband, 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Kildonan [Cill Donnain, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The various sites relating to St Donain are described as Eilean Donain or Isle Donain, which is where the saint's house was, the house being '50 x 26 feet with several surrounding ruins' and the island itself being 70 yards long by 50 yards wide. Cladh Donain [Cille Dhonnain] is described as a peninsula separated from Eilean Donain by another island, the relative distances being noted, and containing a ruined chapel and...
Dates: 24 May 1870
Scope and Contents 7 copy architectural plans (67cm x 99cm) for the cemetery superintendent's house at Willesden cemetery. The plans are at the scale 8 feet to 1 inch. They include plans, elevations and details. The credited architect was the borough engineer F Wayman Brown and the draftsman Percy Johnson-Marshall. However, it is believed that Percy Johnson-Marshall was actually the architect for this project.
Scope and Contents Custom collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay about a blessing stone on Bernara an Easpuig [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] that it was in a stone font in the graveyard and that people who were afraid would go and stroke it. There is also a note about the bishop's house that it 'was up till late and the stone upon which he rested his book while read[ing] is there still.' The custom is preceded by a short saying 'Bean Chaluim Chille am Miulay. Bean Naomh Mòire am Bearnara.'
Dates: 8 August 1867