Skip to main content

Willesden Borough Council, 1930-1938

 Sub-Fonds
Identifier: PJM/WBC

Scope and Contents

Papers, plans and photographs collected by Percy Johnson-Marsahll while employed as Assistant Architect at Willesden Borough Council consists of:
  1. papers concerning proposals, tenders and specifications for for new buildings, 1930-1938
  2. plans for a variety of local council buildings, 1936-1938
  3. photographs of a variety of local council buildings, 1935-1938

Dates

  • 1930-1938

Creator

Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

1 box and 13 plan files

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Biographical / Historical

After completing his Diploma in Architecture at the University of Liverpool, Percy Johnson-Marshall was employed as Assistant Architect by Willesden Borough Council from 1936-1938, where his brother Stirrat was already employed. He worked on municipal architectural projects as part of the team under the borough engineers F Wilkinson and his successor F Wayman Brown. These included school alterations, public housing estates, a refuse disposal plant and the electricity showroom on Willesden Lane. Johnson-Marshall also worked on the design for the Willesden Cemetery superintendent's house, and it is possible that he was the main architect for this.

Extent

From the Fonds: 178 metres

Arrangement

The arrangement of this reflects the formats of the original materials due to the small amount of material and the storage difficulties caused by their differing sizes and requirements.

Related Materials

1 institution which hold archive material relating to Willesden Borough Council is noted in the National Register of Archives (NRA), updated by the Historical Manuscripts Commission, and these can be consulted via their website: http://www.hmc.gov.uk

Physical Description

1 box and 13 plan files

Archivist's Note

None

Sarah Higgins 01 October 2003

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379