Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = PJM Use also for graveyards.
Found in 92 Collections and/or Records:
Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites on An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye, 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites in which Carmichael describes leaving Lochmaddy [Loch nam Madadh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and arriving at Ord [An t-Òrd, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye]. He notes that two stone coffins were found at Ionnaraulaviag or Ionnaraulaigidh [Inbhir Amhlabhaig/Inver Aulavaig] in the summer of 1864. He notes stones and rocks called Clach ullain, Eilean Ruridh [Clach Ullain and Eilean Ruairidh] and that on the latter...
Dates: 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Note about a gravestone on Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire described as depicting a Highlander and being 'at least 300 400 y[ea]rs' old, being difficult to decipher, broken near the foot and composed 'of soft & hard gritty matter'.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] about burial sites on Am Muile/Isle of Mull. He states that there was a 'Cladh Briit' [St Bride's Graveyard] in an àiridh near Cailliach which contained a number of cut stones and crosses which the farmers put into their dykes. He also states that Cille Chriosd had stones with holes through them and Cladh Mhoire was situated down below Castle Calgary and is still used for burials. [Cladh...
Dates: 7 August 1886
Scope and Contents Note which reads '7 sons of Kings said to be bur[ied] at Cladh na mac Ri[gh]. Also Bille.' [Cladh na Mac Rìgh/Glenamachrie, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].
Dates: October 1892
Scope and Contents Note about Cladh Choinnich in Fudey [Fuidheigh/Fuday] collected from Hector MacIosaig [Hector MacIsaac], Kean Langabhat, Iochdar [Ceann Langabhat, Ìochdar, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that it is named 'from Caonneach Bharrach burying his oide & muime there' [foster parents]. Written over the text in pencil is 'Hector Mac Iosaig Kean Langabhat Ioc[hdar] 5 Apr[il] 1872 Friday See no.13 B[ook] p[age] 138.'
Dates: 5 April 1872
Scope and Contents Note about Cladh Cliaminn [St Clement's Graveyard, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] that there is a 'pollag' [small pit] there which 'was never seen dry - always wet or moist.'
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Note about Cladh Pheadair, [Nis/Ness, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] that Aonas mac Bhr'eamh [Aonghas mac ' Bhritheimh or Angus Morrison, son of the Brieve] was the third man to be buried there and that near it is Croc an Annairt [Cnoc an Anairt] where fairy [linens] were seen.
Dates: 27 October 1873
Scope and Contents Note about Dun mac Spiath, that it is where one of the Feinne [Fenians] is buried, describing its position and the land around it adding 'The Feinne hero could not have a finer grave or vie just above Loch Duaich some 300 or 400 feet' [Dùn Mac Spiath and Loch Duich, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty]. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: August 1903
Scope and Contents Note collected from Angus MacAulay, aged 82, An Cnoc/Knock, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis about Eaglais na h-Aoi [Eaglais na h-Aoidhe] that it is the oldest church and burying place in the Isle of Lewis and is connected with St Columba. Also notes that John Wylie [built it], that he had a house in Stornoway [Steòrnabhagh] and that he was one of the people who had come from Fife [Fiobha].
Dates: 29 August 1868
Scope and Contents Note about Eas nan Ùig [Earra Ghàidheal/Argyll], that Carmichaels were buried there; that the MacLaurins [MacLarens] of Duror and the MacColls of Glaisdrum [Glasdrum] fought there; that Donul nan Ord [Dòmhnall nan Òrd] hid there and that the Carmichaels and Stewarts were 'bosom friends' or 'lèine-chneis'.
Dates: August 1883