Skip to main content

Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites on An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye, 18 December 1865

Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/3

Scope and Contents

Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites in which Carmichael describes leaving Lochmaddy [Loch nam Madadh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and arriving at Ord [An t-Òrd, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye]. He notes that two stone coffins were found at Ionnaraulaviag or Ionnaraulaigidh [Inbhir Amhlabhaig/Inver Aulavaig] in the summer of 1864. He notes stones and rocks called Clach ullain, Eilean Ruridh [Clach Ullain and Eilean Ruairidh] and that on the latter there appear to be ruins with cinders 'Probably a smithy' and their position in relation to Dun Sgathaich [Dùn Sgàthaich/Dùn Scaich]. The 'whole of the side of Skye on which the Dun is is called Leir-Dun sgathaic[h] "Dunsgathaich view".' He describes how a woman repeated some lines of Duan Chonnlaoich to him while there and that urns found near the dùn were supposed to have contained the ashes of some of the Feinne [Fenians]. Carmichael describes the architecture of the dùn noting that some parts are clearly older than others and how 'The sgulls (sic) found in the graves were carried off by some tourists to Edin[burgh].' The Dùn is also described as being almost opposite Uamh an Oir or Sparr Cave on Strath-aird [Uamh an Òir/Spar Cave, Strathaird]. The journal continues with a short description of Armidale Castle [Armadale Castle] and of the Honorable Miss MacDonald 'elegant as a swan, gentle as a dove and brave as a lion.'He also describes 'Cillmhor' [Cille Mhòr/Kilmore] with its 'handsome marble monument' to Sir James MacDonald, who died in Rome.


  • Creation: 18 December 1865

Language of Materials

Gaelic English

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.


From the Series: 88 folios ; 16.6 x 19.8 cm