Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:
Fonds — Box CLX-A-1091
Scope and Contents The title of the design thesis is A centre for research and instruction in physical planning and it relates to a proposal for Gordon Square, London W.1. The item is in typescript and has photographs inserted. The work traces the activities of the Association for Planning and Regional Reconstruction, and offers a proposal for a new building for the Association.
Scope and Contents Diagram of Castle Coeffin [Caisteal Chaifeann, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] drawn by Alexander Carmichael and accompanying notes describing a porthole facing Glensanda, large holes in the outside walls as if for bars and the dimensions and situations of the remaining structure. The dungeon is marked on the diagram along with measurements.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Diagram plan of St Clair's Castle [Dùn Mhic Leòid, Loch Tangasdale, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] noting the length of walls, openings within walls, water level and other measurements.
Dates: 26 September 1872
Scope and Contents Diagrams of St Moluag's Catherdral [Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] and accompanying notes which tell how there were human remains dug up from the foundations of the cathedral 'when the dyke was built round the bur[in]g pl[ace] a few y[ea]rs ago.' The diagrams show measurements of walls, niches, windows and doors with some annotations.
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents The drawings are of various sizes ranging from approximately A0 size down to 26cm x 35 cm and show the following: - some pieces showing architectural features/mouldings generally - George Heriot's Hospital Edinburgh - Details of Council Chambers - 1/2" scale - George Heriots Hospital, Edinburgh. 1/2" detail of North Entrance Doorway - Oak Cabinet 'French' dated...
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Dates: 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875
Folder of architectural and decorative detail sketches attributed to Elena Tamara Talbot Rice née Abelson, c 1920-c 1960
Item — Box CLX-A-479
Scope and Contents Folder containing sketches of architectural and sculptural details and letters drawn in pencil or pen and ink over pencil on squared paper. Each sheet bears on its recto up to 24 drawings of European mediaeval architectural and sculptural designs, including ground plans and architectural ornaments, all grouped by period and regions as well as individually labelled. Inside the front cover is noted 'E Talbot Rice', by Enriquetta Harris Frankfort, former Head of the Warburg Institutes'...
Dates: c 1920-c 1960
Scope and Contents Photoraph of a Jain Temple in Calcutta, [India] in the late 19th or early 20th century.
Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites on An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye, 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites in which Carmichael describes leaving Lochmaddy [Loch nam Madadh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and arriving at Ord [An t-Òrd, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye]. He notes that two stone coffins were found at Ionnaraulaviag or Ionnaraulaigidh [Inbhir Amhlabhaig/Inver Aulavaig] in the summer of 1864. He notes stones and rocks called Clach ullain, Eilean Ruridh [Clach Ullain and Eilean Ruairidh] and that on the latter...
Dates: 18 December 1865
Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866