Skip to main content

Cemeteries

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = PJM Use also for graveyards.

Found in 91 Collections and/or Records:

Story about a man who removed Catholic imagery from a graveyard, August 1886

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/30
Scope and Contents Story about a man who removed Catholic imagery from a graveyard which reads ' A man who reprobated having any papanich thing in the cladh carried down the cross & threw it into the sea at [-]. His cattle and sheep died &c & so he went and fished it up & replaced the cross.'
Dates: August 1886

Story about a wall collapsing on a coffin in Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/160
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist telling how funeral was going from Lirinnish to Killemhoire [Liernis/Liernish and Cille Mhoire/Kilmuir] when 'The day came on cur as cabhadh'. The put the corpse in Teampull na Trionaid in the hope that the weather would improve and if it didn't then they would bury it there. When the people left the church the south wall fell down and buried the corpse. The corpse was allowed to remain...
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about Aonas mac Neil, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/153
Scope and Contents Story collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Aonas mac Neil [Aonghas MacNeil or Angus MacNeil] that he was the person who disturbed the grave of the child of the daughter of the King of France and that he was an atheist who said that there was no 'hereaft[e]r & that the soul of a man when if left a man crept along a dyke side like a biast till it met the first closach eich [horse corpse] & went...
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about Braobh-fhaothal and ghosts, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/143
Scope and Contents Story probably collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula about Braobh-fhaothal that it is a burying place in Lianacleit close to tolarum [Lionacleit/Liniclate and Torlum, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] and a family who lived there for seven years saw ghosts. One would write in the ashes with its fingers and another had a bare hand holding a caman [stick]. The stick was taken and thrown out to sea but when the man...
Dates: 20 January 1871

Story about Caibeal Bharra, September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/159
Scope and Contents Story about Caibeal Bharra [Cille-Bharra, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] that its stones were used by Colonel [Roderick] MacNeil to build roads and dykes in Eoligarry [Eòlaigearraidh], on the advice of a mason named [Peter] Dawson, and that the colonel never prospered after that. Carmichael describes the chapel as having been 'high & large. Full of skulls & bones taken up fr[om] the graves'. The story has been scored through lightly in pencil.
Dates: September 1872

Story about Naomh Blianain blessing the graveyards of the Long Isle [Western Isles], 28 May 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/60
Scope and Contents Story collected from Duncan MacLellan, mason and crofter, Carnan [Càrnan, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The story tells how Rìgh Lochlann's two children Mor and Aula Dearg were playing outside one day when they found a 'coit an dà ramh' [small boat]. They got into it and although the day had started pleasantly a wind soon got up and carried them away. They landed at Amhuinn Hough [Abhainn Thobha Mòr/Howmore River]. They grew up and Mòr died and was buried at Hough [Tobha Mòr/Howmore]. When her...
Dates: 28 May 1869

Story about stone crosses on Ìle/Islay, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/96
Scope and Contents Story collected on Ìle/Islay about stone crosses there, stating that the cross at Kilchoman [Cille Chòmain] was from Ireland [brought by] an Irish woman who was married to a landowner from Duir [Contae Dhoire/County Londonderry/County Derry]. Mr Iain Campbell, minister, 'threw down the cross' and the last priest in Islay was brought by a daughter of Clanranald who apparently marriedCampbell of Bailnaby [Baile Nàbaidh/Balnaby/Ballinaby]. When she died she was buried next to him as she had...
Dates: June 1887

Story about the building of a lighthouse on Eilean O-bharsa [Orsay] and vocabulary note, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/75
Scope and Contents Story about the building of a lighthouse on Eilean O-bharsa [Orasaigh/Orsay, Ìle/Islay] that it was built over [Hugh] Mackay's tomb by the Commissioners of Lighthouses [Northern Lighthouse Board] and that whole bodies were wheeled down to Geo-cho'air [Geòdh Chobhair]. The vocabulary note states that 'Seargach' 'Sea foam' or 'tough foam' and 'Co'ar' [cobhar] is 'fresh water foam'.
Dates: June 1887

Story about the burial of An Romhanach, 2 September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/7
Scope and Contents Story about the burial of An Romhanach [An Ròmanach or The Roman] telling how he was buried in the graveyard on Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire but was found on the surface of the ground in the morning and then appeared to someone in a dream and asked to be buried out of sight of the church. This was done and he was buried in the field north of the [first [grave]]. The story notes Lag an Roimh and Larach can an Romhanaich 'is on the other side of the road on S[outh] E[ast] side.'
Dates: 2 September 1870

Story about the death of [Hugh] MacKay of Rinns of Islay, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/76
Scope and Contents Story about the death of [Hugh] MacKay of Rinns of Islay [Na Roinn Ìleach, Ìle/Islay] that he was 'killed by Mac Lathartaich at Cill Mhic O Charmaig Knapadale...when Mac Aoi [was] going in for a drink' [Cill Mo Charmaig/Kilmachcharmick/Keillmore]. MacKay asked to be buried in Eilean O'arsay [Orasaigh/Orsay] and was only eighteen when he was killed. The tomb is noted as having an inscription and being built on by the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses [North Lighthouse Board]. The story is...
Dates: June 1887