Skip to main content

Story about the building of Ciosmaol, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/46

Scope and Contents

Story about the building of Ciosmaol [Caisteal Chiosmuil/Kisimul Castle, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] naming Cul and Biann as responsible for the building after whom Baghan Chul Biain is named. The water for the castle is taken from 'Aird-ghlais in lead pipes to the centre of the rock within the castle' [possibly Rubha Glas]. The story concludes with a note saying that MacNeil of Barra was married to the Earl of Bute's daughter and once when MacNeil was away from home and her father was coming to visit her, she asked that he did not visit because she was unwell.

Dates

  • 1867

Language of Materials

Gaelic English

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 88 folios ; 16.6 x 19.8 cm

Physical Location

5.07

Physical Location

folio 70r, line 17 to folio 70v, line 8

Related Materials

Coll-97/CW114/58 and Coll-97/CW119/3 - other versions of this story

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379