Skip to main content

Building

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = NAHSTE

Found in 30 Collections and/or Records:

Bamboo Trees, 1870s-1930s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1434/3169
Scope and Contents Photograph of a row of 14 year old bamboo trees planted in the Macpherson Park at Allahabad in the late 19th century. According to the text beneath the image, the trees have been utilised for scaffolding, for cattle enclosures and in the construction of buildings. Part of the Survey of the India Office, Calcutta, 1902.
Dates: 1870s-1930s

Exhibitions: exhibition poster and plan, c1951

 Item
Identifier: PJM/LCC/D/5.2
Scope and Contents Poster (37cm x 44cm) advertising the exhibition, hosted by London County Council Architect's Department, "Planning and Building in NE London" to be held in County Hall, London from 9-23 October c1951. The poster is printed in blue and white with a map of a suburban street layout, at approximately 1:2500 scale, as a background image. Floor plan (50cm x 84cm) by Sir Robert Hogg Matthew, of an exhibition layout at 1/8" to 1' scale. This is probably a plan for "Planning and Building in...
Dates: c1951

Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/4
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866

Juggernaut Car, 1870s-1930s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1434/3286
Scope and Contents Photograph of a juggernaut car in which "Sod" is drawn from the temple to garden house [in Southeast Asia?] in the early 20th century.
Dates: 1870s-1930s

Letter to Arthur James Balfour from Professor Alexander Crum Brown, 04 July 1904

 Item
Identifier: Coll-14/9/9/70
Scope and Contents Crum Brown writes to Balfour that he believes the University of Edinburgh should have three ordinary professors of Chemistry who work co-operatively together and who are each assigned a laboratory and junior staff. He then includes some financial projections for salaries and a new building which he states 'should not be ornate' and should be built so it could be extended.
Dates: 04 July 1904

Medical Buildings Time Capsule

 Fonds
Identifier: EUA GD5
Scope and Contents Note written by William Turnbull contating details about him, his wife Cecilia, and Thomas Wilkie, which describes their idea, along with three cuttings taken from The Scotsman. One includes an item on Popery in the Highlands by John Stuart Blackie, with a related poem on the establishment of Fort Augustus. Another reports weather conditions. The third includes coverage of a meeting of the Free Church Presbytery in Edinburgh.
Dates: 1880

Note about the building of Temp[ull] Trian[aid] and S[aint] Michael, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/139
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Aft[er] build[ing] Te[a]mp[ull] Trian[aid], the fui[gh]leach was made to build S[aint] Michael' [Teampull na Trionaid, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist/Teampull Naomh Mhìcheil, Griomsaigh/Grimsay].
Dates: 18 January 1871

Note and story about Ciosmaol, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/58
Scope and Contents Note and story about Ciosmaol [Caisteal Chiosmuil/Kisimul Castle, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay stating that it was built by a Ruari Breac and was left by Ruari Breac [both Roderick MacNeil of Barra]. The first was married to a daughter of the Earl of Bute who was visited by a woman from Boradh [Borgh/Borve] with some new butter [as payment to her landlady]. She complained of having to live on a rock in the sea where she could not...
Dates: 1867

Page captioned 'New Poultry Research Centre in course of erection, Autumn 1949' (photographs not present), 1949

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1057/6/2/3
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series: The photographs consist mainly of photographs of Alan Greenwood, staff from the Institute of Animal Genetics and Poultry Research Centre, their relations and visitors, and various events and conferences. There are also a number of photographs showing the construction and opening of the Poultry Research Centre building at Kings Buildings and the sub-station at Easter Bush. There appears to be a combination of official photographs taken, for instance, for a publication, and more informal...
Dates: 1949

Page mounted with four photographs, Undated, c.1960s

 Item
Identifier: Coll-1057/6/2/89
Scope and Contents Recto: photograph of a brick building under construction, with rows of poultry huts behind; photograph of three rows of poultry huts, with the corner of a brick building in shot.

Verso: Alan Greenwood and Josephine Peace seated with five unidentified females outside the Poultry Research Centre; photograph of a single-storey stone building (possibly the building adjacent to Kellogg Hall, which once housed the ESCA Crop Production Advisory and Development Department).
Dates: Undated, c.1960s