MS 183: Royal Letter Book, late 14th-early 15th century, c 1335-c 1417 (dates of the original letters)
Scope and Contents
- late 14th-early 15th century
- c 1335-c 1417 (dates of the original letters)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Borland, Catherine, A Descriptive Catalogue of the Western Mediaeval Manuscripts in Edinburgh University Library (Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1916), pp. 269-70.
Brown, A. L., ‘The Privy Seal Clerks in the Early Fifteenth Century’ in The Study of Medieval Records: Essays in Honour of Kathleen Major, eds. D. A. Bullough and R. L. Storey (Oxford, 1971), pp. 260-81.
Dodd, Gwilym, ‘Henry IV’s Council, 1399-1405’, in Henry IV: The Establishment of the Regime, 1399-1406, eds. Gwilym Dodd and Douglas Biggs (York, 2003) pp. 95-115.
Historical Manuscripts Commission, Report on the Laing Manuscripts preserved in the University of Edinburgh, presented to Parliament by Command of His Majesty, vol. I (London, 1914), p. 1.
Perroy, Edouard (ed.), The Diplomatic Correspondence of Richard II, Camden Third Series, 48 (London: Royal Historical Society, 1933), pp. xxi-xxvii et al.
Binding: early-twentieth-century, cardboard with a leather covering.
Collation: a6, b12, c6, d2 (wants 2), e8, f8, g6, h8, i8, j8, k8, k8, m8, n7 (wants 6), o5, p4, q6, r10, s2 = 128.
Secundo folio: text tantummodo.
Foliation: ff. 128.
- Boniface IX, c 1355-1404 (Pope) (Correspondent)
- Charles V, 1338-1380 (King of France) (Correspondent)
- Edward III, 1312-1377 (King of England) (Correspondent)
- Frye, Robert, d 1435 (clerk in the Signet Office; clerk of the Council; secondary in the privy seal office) (Scribe)
- Henry IV, 1367-1413 (King of England) (Correspondent)
- Manuscripts, French
- Manuscripts, Latin
- Manuscripts, Medieval -- England
- Margaret I, 1353-1412 (Queen of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden) (Correspondent)
- Prophete, John, c 1350-1416 (clerk of the Council; keeper of the privy seal)
- Richard II, 1367-1400 (King of England) (Correspondent)
- Stafford, Edmund, 1344-1419 (Bishop of Exeter and Lord Chancellor) (Correspondent)
- Taylor, Arthur, 1790-1870 (English writer and antiquarian) (Former owner)
- Visconti, Gian Galeazzo, 1351-1402 (1st Duke of Milan) (Correspondent)
- Laing, David, 1793-1878 (antiquarian, bookseller, and librarian of the Signet Library) (Former owner, Person)