Correspondence: John Strong Newberry to John Perry, 1863-1900
Scope and Contents
- 37 letters, alphabetically arranged (1863-1900)
- Geikie, Archibald, Sir, 28 December 1835 – 10 November 1924 (Professor of Geology, University of Edinburgh) (Person)
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
John Strong Newberry (1822-1892) was awarded the Murchison medal by the Geological Society of London in 1888 and wrote to Geikie about it. He also wrote regarding his trip to England the same year, to send him a copy of The Paleozoic Fishes of North America, ( 1889) , and to introduce to Geikie, FJH Merrill.
Alfred Newton (1829-1907) wrote regarding a cruise up the west coast of Scotland.
Henry Alleyne Nicholson (1844-1899) was professor of Natural History and Botany at the University of Toronto (1871-1874) and wrote to Geikie after receiving that appointment. He also wrote regarding his application for the chair of Zoology at the Royal College of Science, Dublin. Later as professor of Natural History at the University of St Andrews, he asked Geikie's opinion on the rocks of Harris and for support in his application for the 'Survey Lectureship'.
J Nolan (fl1898) worked with the Geological Survey of Ireland and wrote regarding the accuracy of Bartholomew's maps of Ireland and regarding a proposed agricultural map. He also mentions providing a reference for WF Mitchell (see also letter from WF Mitchell: Coll-74/12/16)
Benjamin Neeve Peach (1842-1926) wrote to convey results (including illustrartions) from survey work he was undertaking in and around Ayrshire, including references to shale, Silurian, Old Red Sandstone and fossils. He also informed Geikie of an incident where he had beeen accused of illegal fishing which required him to take a leave of absence to attend to it.
Charles William Peach (1800-1886) wrote on subjects including glacial drift, enclosing a short paper.
John Perry (fl1895-1896) wrote about the age of the Earth.
From the Fonds: 2 metres
- Appointment to Office
- Ayrshire Scotland
- Bartholomew Ltd (c1850-:)
- Geikie, Archibald, Sir, 28 December 1835 – 10 November 1924 (Professor of Geology, University of Edinburgh)
- Geological Society of London (1807-:)
- Geological Survey of Ireland
- Geological Time
- Glacial Drift
- Isle of Harris Inverness-shire Scotland
- Newberry, John Strong, 1822-1892 (American geologist and palaeontologist)
- Newton, Alfred, 1829-1907 (English zoologist and ornithologist)
- Nicholson, Henry Alleyne, 1844-1899 (professor of natural history, University of St Andrews)
- Nolan, J, fl1898 (worked with the Geological Survey of Ireland)
- Old Red Sandstone
- Peach, 1800-1886 (naturalist and geologist)
- Peach, Benjamin Neeve, 1842-1926 (geologist)
- Perry, John, fl1895-1896 (scientist)
- Professional Associations
- Professional Contributions
- Professional Interaction
- Royal College of Science, Dublin (Ireland) (1865-:)
- Scholarly Publishing
- Scott, Robert Henry, Robert Henry 1833-1916 (meteorologist)
- University of St Andrews (1411-:)
- University of Toronto (1827-:)