Skip to main content

Comprehensive Development Areas: Elephant and Castle, 1951-1956

Identifier: PJM/LCC/E/5

Scope and Contents

Comprehensive development areas: Elephant and Castle consists of:

  1. assorted photographs and reports, (1955-1956)
  2. plans, (1951-c1955)


  • Creation: 1951-1956


Language of Materials

This material is in English

Physical Description

1 file and 3 plan files

Conditions Governing Access

Material relating to living individuals may be restricted under the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Biographical / Historical

An area extensively bombed during World War II, the London County Council Comprehensive Development Area no 5: Elephant and Castle centered on a junction of the roads from Westminster and the Waterloo and Blackfriars Bridges. The basic redevelopment design went through various permutations before London County Council built the London College of Printing, designed by the Schools Division of the Architect's Department. In 1951 Percy Johnson-Marshall and Arthur Ling proposed a multi-level intersection and combining the two underground stations. A more modest scheme, with a single level roundabout (1954), was superceded by one involving limited competitions, drafted by Gordon Logie, in 1960. A competition for the design for the commercial development, to be undertaken by private developers, was won by Erno Goldfinger. Messrs Boissevain and Osmond won a second competition, for a shopping centre.


From the Sub-Fonds: 3.5 metres