Helen Lewise Dougal Archive relating to Patrick Geddes and Scots College, Montpellier
- Postcards of Sète and Montpellier, 1929.
- Article entitled Patrick Geddes in his Montpellier setting by A.D. Peacock, ca 1927.
- Print of Patrick Geddes' portrait photograph by R. M. Neill, taken from a book.
- Letter from Helen Dougal to her family, dated 4 April 1929, and detailing daily activities on a geographical excursion in Languedoc, also mentioned in item no. 6.
- Photograph reproduction and original of group photograph at Montpellier in April 1929, with Helen Dougal in kilt on the left hand side (nicknamed "Shorty").
- Notebook of Helen Dougal, detailing her two-week trip to the Scots College in April 1929 for a geographical exploration of Languedoc with thorough notes, little maps, and diagrams.
- Letter from Patrick Geddes dated 7 April 1929, to Helen's father, his friend Dr John Wilson Dougal, chemist and geologist, detailing the current state of play with the Scots College, handwritten on a Scots College headed notepaper.
- Graduation photograph of Helen Dougal, probably for her Postgraduate Diploma in Geography from the University of Edinburgh in 1928.
- Article by Alan Ogilvie on a geographical excursion to Bas Languedoc in July 1928. Ogilvie was one of Helen’s geography teachers on the Postgraduate Diploma in Geography she completed in 1927-28.
- Letter to Helen Dougal dated 29 April 1929, from Dr R. N. Radmore Brown (?) of Sheffield University, discussing the aftermath of the trip to Montpellier, and her family ambivalence to her desire to return to the Scots College as a student.
- Reference from Alan Ogilvie, Department of Geography, Edinburgh, April 1929. This is a recommendation for becoming a geography teacher.
- Application for the George Scott Travelling fund to finance a year at the Scots College, ca 1929. Patrick Geddes offering £40 remission on residency costs.
- Reference from Alan Ogilvie discussing possible topics for study at Montpellier and what qualification to go for.
- Letter from James F. Macdonald to Helen Dougal's parents pleading her case for return on Patrick Geddes's behalf, undated.
- Photocopy of a letter dated 28 August 1929 from James F. Macdonald about the decision for Helen Dougal not to go to Montpellier. He hopes John Dougal, her geologist father, may "find platinum in bulk" in the Outer Hebrides, where he eventually found a vein of flinty crush rock running through the islands for which he received a doctorate.
- Photocopy of a memoir fragment dated 1934, including an account by James Macdonald of Patrick Geddes as a child, describing him as "a wee laddie in a kilt, wha was aye in a hurry."’
- Contents Summary of the book Patrick Geddes et le Collège des Écossais, la colline et le monde by Marion Geddes and Jean-Paul Andrieu, 20199; and photocopies of page from the book (?) with the biographies of Helen Dougal, Arthur Geddes, and Edward McGegan. Both documents in French.
- Prospectus for the Scots College, session 1931-1932.
- Helen Dougal in a play, bottom row, far right.
- Helen Dougal at home in a garden of St Anne’s bank, Spring gardens, Edinburgh.
- Graduation, Postgraduate Diploma in Geography, 1928, University of Edinburgh.
- Helen Dougal with friends, 2nd left.
- Helen Dougal passport photograph.
- Group photo at Scots College, Montpellier, 1929. Geography excursion. Helen Dougal in a kilt as “Shorty”.
- Photo of newspaper clipping about Patrick Geddes’ death.
- Letter from George F. Macdonald to Helen’s father about her not being able to return to Montpellier.
- Graduation picture of Helen Dougal, probably for MA University of Edinburgh, 1927.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
1 disc : DVD
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Geddes, Patrick, Sir, 1854-1932 -- Correspondence
- Geddes, Sir Patrick, 1854-1932 (biologist, sociologist, educationist and town planner)
- Geography -- Study and teaching
- Montpellier (France)
- Ogilvie, Alan Grant, 1887-1954 (Scottish geographer)
- Teachers, Training of
- University of Edinburgh -- students
- Helen Lewise Dougal Archive relating to Patrick Geddes and Scots College, Montpellier, 1927-1934
- Language of description
- Script of description