Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Collection of papers and correspondence relating to the publication history of The Scottish Insurrection of 1820 by Peter Berresford Ellis and Seumas Mac a’Ghobhainn
Content Description This collection consists of typed and holograph correspondence and associated materials concerning the publication history of The Scottish Insurrection of 1820 by Peter Berresford Ellis and Seumas Mac a'Ghobhainn (Gollancz, 1970). Berresford Ellis offered the book to Giles Gordon, Editorial Director at Gollancz, in March 1969. With the 150th anniversary of the insurrection approaching, the project was swiftly accepted, and the manuscript (already well advanced)...
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Scope and Contents The diaries contain notes by David Reid senior, of weather and farming neighbours, 1855 to 1856, and notes by David Reid junior, of school, farm and St. Andrews University, 1873 to 1883.
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries, legal documents, inventories, student notes, sermons, and business accounts relating to the members of the Anderson, Urquhart, and Graham families (all related). The material covers the 18th and 19th centuries and relates to subjects as varied as ironmongery, sea travel, study of humanities in the 1820s, preaching and sermons, school teaching, etc. This collection provides an excellent insight into the daily life in Edinburgh in the late 1700s and in the 1800s.
Content Description This fonds contains the papers of: Professor Alexander Christison FRSE (1751-1820), Professor of Humanity at the University of Edinburgh from 1806 to his death in 1820, father of Sir Robert Christison. Sir Robert Christison, 1st Baronet, FRSE FRCSE FRCPE (1797-1882), toxicologist and physician, father of Sir Alexander Christison (1828-1918). John Christison (1789-1862),...
Dates: 1785-1904; 1979
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Content Description The archive contains many letters from, to, and between members of the Scott Moncreiff family including Robert Scott Moncreiff of Fossaway and his wife, Susan, and others of the family. The letters are mostly 19th century, some 18th century, and earlier.There is also a quantity of ms letters, legal documents, and printed matter relating to the Scott Moncreiffs of Yair and Fossaway, Perthshire... including instruments of sasine, and share certificates, the former in favour of Mrs. Scott...
- Family papers 3
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 3
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 2
- Family History 2
- Agriculture 1
- Authors and Publishers 1
- Diaries 1
- Family records | 1
- Fife, Scotland 1
- History, 17th Century (Scotland) 1
- Legal Documents 1
- Photographs 1
- Publishers and Publishing 1
- Radical War 1
- Scotland -- Wishaw 1
- Scotland | History | 17th century 1 ∧ less
- English 3
- English 2
- Multiple languages 1
- Anderson (Edinburgh) 1
- Christison, Sir Robert, 1797-1882 (1st Baronet | Scottish toxicologist and physician) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Ellis, Peter Berresford, b 1943 (British historian and author) 1
- Graham (Edinburgh) 1
- Mac a' Ghobhainn, Seumas, 1930-1987 (Scottish author and political campaigner) 1
- Moncreiff, Robert Scott, 1793-1869 (advocate, illustrator and caricaturist) 1
- Reid, David, 1796-1882 (farmer) 1
- Reid, David, 1820-1884 (Farmer) 1
- Reid, David, 1865-1933 (Farmer) 1
- Roach, William, fl 1969-1970 (Scottish historian) 1
- Steuart, Baronets (of Coltness) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1608-1681 (Lord Provost of Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1635-1713 (Lord Advocate of Scotland) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1681-1727 (Solicitor-General of Scotland) 1
- Urquhart (Perth) 1
- Victor Gollancz Ltd 1 ∧ less