Collection of papers and correspondence relating to the publication history of The Scottish Insurrection of 1820 by Peter Berresford Ellis and Seumas Mac a’Ghobhainn
- TLS (Typed Letter Signed) from Beresford Ellis to Giles Gordon of Gollanc, 23 March 1969, enclosing synopsis of the proposed book, and proposing that the introduction should be written by Hugh MacDiarmid.
- Typed letter from Gordon to Berresford Ellis, 16 April 1969, accepting the book for publication and outlining terms, with a TLS in reply from Berresford Ellis dated the following day, accepting terms.
- Typed reader's report (highly favourable) by Ian Rodger with cover TLS to Gordon, 11 August 1969
- Letter from Gordon to Berresford's agent, Michael Thomas at A.M. Heath, 26 September 1969, criticizing the authors' research, and withdrawing the book from publication unless and until errors and omissions are corrected.
- TLS from Berresford Ellis to Gordon, 1 October 1969, with an accompanying 4pp typed refutation of the criticisms.
- Letters from Mac a'Ghobhainn to Gordon, 27 November and 6 December 1969, pointing out misspellings of his name on the book's proof dust-wrapper.
- TLS from Hamish MacQueen of the Scottish National Party to Gordon, 13 December 1969, requesting proof dust-wrappers of the book in order to publicise it ahead of publication.
- Biographical and Publicity Information forms of both authors, both typed but with a few holograph additions and corrections.
- ALS (Autograph Letter Signed) from the writer, broadcaster, and critic Moray McLaren to Gordon, 24 February 1970, informing Gordon that he is to review the book for ‘The Guardian’, and requesting an extra copy for Compton Mackenzie (with a reply from Gordon declining the request).
- A number of black and white headshots of both authors, a proof dust-wrapper for the book, and a small collection of Gollancz in-house correspondence.
- Victor Gollancz Ltd (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Collection of papers from the archives of Publisher Victor Gollancz, related to the publication history of "The Scottish Insurrection of 1820" by Peter Berresford Ellis and Seumas Mac A'Ghobhainn
- Language of description
- Script of description