Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Placenames

 Subject
Subject Source: Sss
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 233 Collections and/or Records:

Story about 'Creag-mac-Righ', 18 September 1890

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW1/23
Scope and Contents Story which reads 'Creag-mac-Righ about Ardenny where son of Alex[ander] II fell over rock' [Creag Mhic Rìgh both Airdeny both Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].

Story about fairy hills, 1891

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/140
Scope and Contents Story entitled 'Sithichean Cnoc Na Connlaich' about a man who when passing between two hills in the middle of the night while carrying straw hears a voice calling him from one hill telling him to leave the fodder and a voice from the other hill telling him not to, 'A mhic Dhomhaill Ghlais cha'n fhag tu am fodar am fad agus a bhitheas uiread leat agus a tha na d'aghaidh agus fear/duine a bharrachd!' [Son of Gray Donald, don't leave the straw so long as there are as many for you as there are...

Story about ghosts at Howmore cemetery and accompanying place-name note, 29 October 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/108
Scope and Contents Story about ghosts at Howmore cemetery [Tobha Mòr, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] in which Catri[o]na ni[gh]ean Do[mh]n[a]il[l] Ghuirm volunteered to watch the cattle-fold at night while the man who should have been doing it went fishing at Loch Sgioport [Loch Skipport]. While there, she saw the graves open and people going in and out of them. A woman ghost approached her and Catriona barred her way with a cuigeal or distaff. The woman demanded to be let past saying that she was Mòr nighean Rìgh...

Story about how Cuilidh na Leannan got its name, 24 Septmeber 2010

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/113
Scope and Contents Story about how Cuilidh na Leannan got its name. A man ran away with another man's sweetheart and as they were 'riding under the piazza' the rock caught them, threw them down and they were killed 'in the sloc below'. The place where this happened was named after them: 'Cuilidh na Leannan' or 'Leac nan Leannan' which is at Cliv [Dùn Cliobh] close to a stream.

Story about Mac Thomais building part of Teampull na Trionaid, 20 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/161
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which tells how Mac Thomais [Mac Thòmais] came home and built the west gable of the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. He meant to reroof the building too but Moraire Ban [Morair Bàn] would not let him. He adds that 'Sgeir ioc Thomais (?Ceiseam) is below the Temple' [Sgeir ic Coiseam].

Story about murders, a superstition and accompanying place-names, September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/53
Scope and Contents Story about murders describing how in one day seventeen people were killed in Achadun Castle, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire and that a chàbag 'was a round stone ab[ou]t the buaile which taken away 7 which caused mischance to those who took it. The following place-names are mentioned although it is not clear what the connection between them, the story and the superstition is: Cladh-a ghleannain, Pillebhride, Clachain nam-baintearnan, An Caibeal and Lag a chaibeail [Cladh a'...

Story about Naomh Blianain blessing the graveyards of the Long Isle [Western Isles], 28 May 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/60
Scope and Contents Story collected from Duncan MacLellan, mason and crofter, Carnan [Càrnan, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]. The story tells how Rìgh Lochlann's two children Mor and Aula Dearg were playing outside one day when they found a 'coit an dà ramh' [small boat]. They got into it and although the day had started pleasantly a wind soon got up and carried them away. They landed at Amhuinn Hough [Abhainn Thobha Mòr/Howmore River]. They grew up and Mòr died and was buried at Hough [Tobha Mòr/Howmore]. When her...

Story about Rev John MacAulay and the treatment of 'malefactors', September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/37
Scope and Contents Story about Rev John MacAulay, minister, Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire, that he was disliked by his parishioners 'duine borb borb' to the extent that on his final Sunday during the service he said that he would not leave if anyone showed him support but no one spoke. He put up the brangas [pillory] by the church where malefactors [criminals] would be chained for a night and a day as punishment. It also notes that Druim na Bithe was where the malefactors would be collected for...

Story about Ruai Mhor, daughter of Rìgh Lochlann, and duns on the Isle of Barra, 24 September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/104
Scope and Contents Story about Ruai Mhor, daughter of Rìgh Lochlann, that Dun Loch Nic an Ruaidh [Dùn Loch nic Ruaidhe, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] was built for her as she was sought by many Lochlann heroes: 'They would come to the slope opposite & look on & wi[th] great delight to get a look at her even at a distance. They lived at Dun a' Bhairp [Dùn Bharpa]'. Carmichael also notes down Dun a ghlinne, Auin an Duin and Lamruig an Duin, [Dùn a' Ghlinne, Abhainn an Dùin and Lamraig an Dùin, all Barraigh/Isle...

Story about seeing the remains of 'Bogha an Teampuill', November 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW111/23
Scope and Contents Story collected from Keith Macdonald, Scarista [Sgarasta, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris], that he saw 'most distinctly' the walls of Bogha an Teampuill, which are submerged opposite Scarista beag [Sgarasta Bheag] and that 'the tangles were growing to a great extent over it'. 'He saw it to his great astonishment' as his hooks had got entangled with the long seaweed and he noticed lime shells on the seaweed which came up with his hooks.