Skip to main content


Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = NAHSTE

Found in 47 Collections and/or Records:

Notes about Leaba-Threòrai, Leaba mhioc Neil and Tir-unga Bhaothasdail, 1867

Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/60
Scope and Contents

Note probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, which reads 'Leaba-Threòrai - no tradition. Leaba mhioc Neil. Bha Mac neil ann an iuc/nook fon chreig. Tir-unga Bhaothasdail. This belonged to the MacNeils.' [Leaba Threòraidh, Leaba Mhic Neill and Tìrunga Baoghsdail/Boisdale Ounceland]

Dates: 1867

Notes about woods and stones and a story about an Irish queen, October 1892

Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/57
Scope and Contents

Note that Coille bheag, which is close to Cille, Bunawe [Coille Bheag, Bun Abha, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] was 'a beautiful oak wood of rare beauty, now [sup[planted]] by pine'. Note that 'Round marble stone' was found at found at Ru-aird-an-draighin at Beinn-duirenis [Rubh' Aird an Droighinn, Beinn Duirinnis] and a story that an Irish queen visited there but fled with [an ax-man], and that the ruins of the place are still visible near Eilean Uisneachain [Eilean Uisneachan].

Dates: October 1892

Notes on deserted houses, archaeological sites and the geography of Tarasaigh/Taransay with accompanying sketch, 9 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/36
Scope and Contents Notes on deserted houses, archaeological sites and the geography of Tarasaigh/Taransay, describing the houses at Aoi [Uidh] which had been left by families who moved to Paible [Paibeil] including 'a nice box of a house in front with one chim[ney] & plastered' and their situation as being in a 'beautiful spot'. The accompanying sketch is of Clach an Teampuill which is on Croc an Teampuill [Cnoc an Teampuill] and noted are its dimensions, that it is made of grey granite and that its...
Dates: 9 July 1870

Notes on places in Lios Mòr/Lismore, September 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/65
Scope and Contents Notes on places in Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire noting, that there was a taigh seilg at Croc Bheolain [Cnoc Bheolain]; that Clach Liath is named after the stone found there; Clach Bheathain is at Port Bheathain in Fiart near Muisdal [Eilean Musdile] and that Dul Rua Neacail [Dùghall Ruadh Neacail] had climbed on top of it; that Clach an Trinis is in Aoine Achanis; and that Tobar, Port and Muillean Killmhoire are close to Killmhoire [Tobar Mhuillean, Port a'...
Dates: September 1870

Notes on rocks around Iona and Lismore; whether the rocks have been sculpted; and place-names connected to them, c1893

Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/84
Scope and Contents Notes on rocks around Iona and Lismore including the tidal sgeirs called An Draidhean and Lieth sgeir [An Dreadhan, Liath Sgeir, Lios Mòr, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] including their situations and that rock from Liath Sgeir was quarried for tombstones on Lismore and I Chaluim Chille/Iona. Also notes that Lithe [liath] or Li is the word for a flagstone, Leac-lithe [leac-liath] being the term for tombstone in Lismore, Iona and Inbhir Aora/Inveraray. He notes that Inis nan Draoidhean or Inis...
Dates: c1893

Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay], 13 July 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/87
Scope and Contents Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay, Siorramachd Inbhir-Nis/Inverness-shire] that Arch[ibald] Stewart, proprietor of Taigh Easaigh [Ensay House] had made good additions to a fine house but that it was too close to the bay - 'This is its only fault'. The situation and composition of the old temple is noted and that it is being used as a stable and of the same style as Teampull Tao Deas [Teampull Taobh Deas/Teampull an t-Sagairt, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. Also noted is Croc a...
Dates: 13 July 1870

Notes relating to rocks in Knapdale, South Uist and Lewis, 1887

Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/325
Scope and Contents

Notes relating to rocks in Knapdale [Cnapadal], South Uist [Uibhist a Deas] and Lewis [Eilean Leòdhais], including that an old woman used to be seen 'at the Lic (a true rock) on s[outh] side Lochaoinirt' [Loch Aineort, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist].

Dates: 1887

Papers of Dr. John Walker

Identifier: Coll-205
Scope and Contents

[to be completed]

Dates: 1731-1803

Story about a curse made by Calum CIlle [St Columba], 1901

Identifier: Coll-97/CW110/45
Scope and Contents

Story about a curse made by Calum Cille [St Columba] when his boat struck a rock. He noticed that the rock was barren and he cursed it to stay that way forever, which it has done. The text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.

Dates: 1901

Story about catching lobster, 7 August 1886

Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/21
Scope and Contents

Story collected from Duncan Cameron, police officer, Lochaline [Loch Àlainn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] about catching lobster which reads 'Lobster got on high sea level in Port Mor in rock in fissure of red [gairial]' [Port Mòr, A' Mhorbhairne/Morvern].

Dates: 7 August 1886