Skip to main content

Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay], 13 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/87

Scope and Contents

Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay, Siorramachd Inbhir-Nis/Inverness-shire] that Arch[ibald] Stewart, proprietor of Taigh Easaigh [Ensay House] had made good additions to a fine house but that it was too close to the bay - 'This is its only fault'. The situation and composition of the old temple is noted and that it is being used as a stable and of the same style as Teampull Tao Deas [Teampull Taobh Deas/Teampull an t-Sagairt, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. Also noted is Croc a caisteal [Cnoc a' Chaisteil] where there was an old dun, describing its location and the beauty of the island and its black cattle. The island has no burial ground although it used to be at Trai Mhanuis [TrĂ igh Mhanuis].Clach-sgaire [Clach Sgairidh] is noted as being a boulder at the south end of the island, where someone called Sgaire [Sgairidh] was wrecked and from whom Caolas Sgaire [Caolas Sgairidh] takes its name. Carmichael adds that a number of men from the island were in the military

Dates

  • 13 July 1870

Language of Materials

Gaelic English

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 64 folios ; 19.5 x 23 cm