Skip to main content

University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)



The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.

The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.

Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.

The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.

The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.

In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.

Found in 280 Collections and/or Records:

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: zoology building, 1959-1973

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/5.5
Scope and Contents

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: zoology building consists of:

  1. plans: zoology extension, (1964-1965)
  2. plans: proposed zoology extension, (1959)
  3. plans: zoology department mouse house, (1973)
  4. plans: animal house extension, (1961)
Dates: 1959-1973

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: zoology department mouse house, 1973

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/5.5.3
Scope and Contents

2 copy architectural plans (60cm x 85cm) by the University of Edinburgh Architectural Research Unit, showing a proposed new mouse house for the Department of Zoology at the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings. There are plans, sections and elevations at 1:500 scale.

Dates: 1973

University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings Development: zoology extension, 1964-1965

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/5.5.1
Scope and Contents 5 copy architectural plans (38cm x 56cm) for an extension to the Zoology building at the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings. The plans are by Sir Robert Hogg Matthew and the University of Edinburgh Architecture Research Unit. There is a site plan at 1:500 scale, a cross section and a floor plan at 1/8" to 1' scale and a plan concerning perimeter path finishes at 1/16" to 1' scale. There is also an elevation (38cm x 157cm) showing the proposed extension in situ with the existing...
Dates: 1964-1965

University of Edinburgh - King's Buildings roads: details of the perimeter road adjacent to site for Institute of Geological Sciences, September 1970

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/D/4.5
Scope and Contents

Copy of an engineering plan (76cm x 116cm) by Blyth & Blyth at 1:200 scale showing details of the perimeter road adjacent to the site for the Institute of Geological Sciences, at the University of Edinburgh King's Buildings. The plan includes a plan view, and two longitudinal sections. These have a vertical scale of 1:20.

Dates: September 1970

University of Edinburgh: maths and physics site - High School Yards, c1970

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/14.2.2
Scope and Contents

Set of 5 manuscript plans (25cm x 30cm) probably by Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates giving different possibilities for the use of the vacant High School Yards site at the University of Edinburgh. One of the possible uses is as a site for maths and physics. The plans are in ink and felt-tip pen. There is no key to the coloured areas or figures given on the plans, although some of the coloured areas are marked for car-parking and show possible traffic circulation.

Dates: c1970

University of Edinburgh: Medical School extension, 1968-c1976

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9
Scope and Contents

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension consists of:

  1. architectural model and photographs of the model, (c1976)
  2. development reports, (c1976)
  3. plans, (1960-1965)
  4. construction photographs, (1968-1970)
Dates: 1968-c1976

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension: architectural model and photographs of the model, c1976

 File — Object PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9.1 (model)
Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9.1
Scope and Contents

Architectural model of the proposed medical school extension measuring W 143 cm x L 74 cm x H 39 cm. In addition there are 12 commercial black and white photographic prints of the model taken by John Dewar. 6 of these show a round view and are labelled "Modelscope photographs" (15cm diameter). 1 is an enlargement of the south elevation (27cm x 60cm). The remainder measure 18cm x 24cm.

Dates: c1976

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension: construction photographs, c1976

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9.4
Scope and Contents

Packet of 4 black and white photographic prints (8cm x 12cm) showing the north side of George Square, in Edinburgh, while the University of Edinburgh Medical School extension is under construction.

Dates: c1976

University of Edinburgh Medical School extension: development reports, c1976

Identifier: PJM/PJMA/EUD/B/9.2
Scope and Contents This file contains 3 copies of a draft report, 2 with hand-written editorial comments and a final version, concerning the development of north George Square. These were prepared by Percy Johnson-Marshall in his capacity of planning consultant to the University of Edinburgh. The file also includes a feasibility study concerning the development of the University of Edinburgh Medical School extension by a consortium of professional advisors which comprised Percy Johnson-Marshall &...
Dates: c1976