MS 19: Bible Historiale by Guyart des Moulins, 1314-1315
List of illuminations
- Fol. 1. Prologue. Diapered gold ground. Guiart des Moulins writing at desk.
- Fol. 2. Letter to Archbishop of Sens. Lake chequer ground. Writer seated at desk on the left, white monk, kneeling, presents the letter to the Archbishop of Sens, who stands at the right, attended by three white monks.
- Fol. 3. Genesis. Gold ground. Creation of fishes.
- Fol. 3 verso. Genesis. Blue chequer ground. Creation of animals. Creator all gold - a vague, indefinite figure.
- Fol. 4 verso. Genesis. Gold ground. Creation of Adam. Adam kneels, hands clasped in supplication, trees behind.
- Fol. 5 verso. Genesis. The Fall. Adam and Eve on either side the Tree of Knowledge, in which is coiled the serpent. Eve has the apple in her hand.
- Fol. 7. Genesis. The expulsion. Burnished gold ground. The angel with the sword stands between two trees. Adam and Eve go forth to the right.
- Fol. 7. Genesis. Birth of Abel. Blue chequer ground. Eve, in curtained bed, hold Abel in her arms; Adam, at foot of bed, holds Cain by the hand.
- Fol. 7 verso. Genesis. Conviction of Cain. Lake chequer ground. Nimbed figure of God, face and figure dimly seen, hand stretched out towards Cain, who is slaying Abel under a tree on the right.
- Fol. 9 verso. Genesis. Gold ground. Noah sending forth the dove from the ark, which is depicted like an upturned boat. The heads of his wife and tow children are seen through a window in the roof, and a man is trying to clamber up the side.
- Fol. 13. Genesis. Lake chequer ground. Abraham and Sarah before Pharaoh.
- Fol. 19 verso. Genesis. Blue chequer ground. Birth of Esau and Jacob. Rebecca in bed, two attendants holding the children.
- Fol. 21 verso. Genesis. Red chequer ground. Jacob's dream. He lies asleep with stone for pillow, four angels flying up and down the ladder above him. Half-length Deity in cloud above holding the orb.
- Fol. 25 verso. Genesis. Gold ground. Joseph sold into slavery. Joseph naked in the pit, Reuben bargaining with two merchants, the brothers departing.
- Fol. 33 verso. Exodus. Gold ground. The crossing of the Red Sea. Pharaoh and his host in mail drowning in the waters in the left. Moses, horned, divides the sea with his rod, and the Israelites follow him unarmed on the right.
- Fol. 53 verso. Leviticus. Gold ground. Moses bows himself before the burning bush. No appearance of Deity.
- Fol. 62. Numbers. Blue chequer ground. Moses, with the tables of the Law, addressed by Deity - great, indistinct gold figure.
- Fol. 77. Deuteronomy. Blue chequer ground. Moses, as above, addresses a crowd of seated Israelites.
- Fol. 89 verso. Joshua. Red chequer ground. Joshua, on one side Jordan, looking up to angel with scroll above.
- Fol. 96. Judges. Blue chequer ground. A battle of mailed infantry.
- Fol. 103. Gold ground. Gold idol on pedestal on the right, young man in white kneels before it (the Levite), Micah and his mother behind. He receives from her the shekels of silver.
- Fol. 104 verso. Ruth. Red chequer ground. Naomi holding her two sons by the hand.
- Fol. 106 verso. 1 Kings. Gold ground. Elkanah and his two wives with Peninah's children going up to Shiloh.
- Fol. 118 verso. 2 Kings. Gold ground. David crowned, seated, three attendants with him, all in attitudes of grief. To him the Amalekite, kneeling, offers the crown with the news of Saul's death, and is about to be slain as he kneels.
- Fol. 129. 3 Kings. Gold ground. Abishag kneels before David.
- Fol. 145 verso. 4 Kings. Gold ground. Elijah, seating on the hill-top, answers one of Ahaziah's captains. Fire from heaven descends upon his followers, who lie prostrate upon the ground to the left.
- Fol. 163 verso. Job. Red chequer ground. Job and his three friends.
- Fol. 164 verso. Tobit. Red ground with stars. Under a triple Gothic arch Tobit prostrate before a white-draped altar.
- Fol. 169. History of Jeremiah. Crowned king centre. On the left, a young man in red cloak with ermine. On the right, four Jews apparently speaking of him to the king.
- Fol. 180. Judith. Gold ground. Judith beheading Holofernes.
- Fol. 185. Cambyses to Nehemiah. Red chequer ground. King sits centre with sceptre and is crowned by four men, two on either side.
- Fol. 188 verso. Esther. Gold ground. Queen Vashti sits at a feast with seven other women.
- Fol. 194. Ochum. Gold ground. King Ochum with four followers before the temple.
- Fol. 197 verso. Proverbs. Blue chequer ground. Solomon teaching Rehoboam.
- Fol. 209. Ecclesiastes. Red chequer ground. Solomon, young, seated at desk reading.
- Fol. 212. Cantica. Blue chequer ground. Virgin and Child enthroned.
- Fol. 214. Sapientia. Gold ground. Solomon seated as above, but with sword, addresses a crowd.
- Fol. 220 verso. Ecclesiasticus. Gold ground. Solomon crowned, seated, reads to youth sitting at his feet.
- Fol. 238. Isaiah. Gold ground. Isaiah pointing to Jerusalem as he speaks.
- Fol. 259 verso. Jeremiah. Blue diaper ground. Jeremiah before the gate of a city, red cloud above.
- Fol. 281. Lamentations. Gold ground. Jeremiah as above, four persons behind the battlements mourning.
- Fol. 283. Baruch. Gold ground. King with sword pointing to three figures standing at the gate of a city, one, the prophet, hands bound, being taken either to or from the city.
- Fol. 285 verso. Letter of Jeremiah. Gold ground. Prophet, pointing to city, addressed a crowd of listeners.
- Fol. 286 verso. Ezekiel. Red chequer ground. Ezekiel centre, six listeners, three on either side, a cloud above.
- Fol. 305 verso. Daniel. Ground half-burnished gold, half-red chequer. Nebuchadnezzar crowned, in bed, a gigantic image of gold, silver, iron, and clay stands at the foot.
- Fol. 314. Hosea. In two parts. On the right, gold ground, Hosea seated looks up towards angel; On the left, blue chequer ground, Gomer in bed. The winged angel is finely drawn here and in the other pictures in the Minor Prophets.
- Fol. 317. Joel. Red chequer ground. Five seated men listening to winged angel, with scroll, speaking out of a cloud.
- Fol. 318 verso. Amos. Gold ground. Fire from cloud consumes city.
- Fol. 321. Obadiah. Blue chequer ground. Prophet with book looks up to angel in cloud above.
- Fol. 321 verso. Jonah. Gold ground. Boat with sail, whale rising in front of it, Jonah half length in its jaws.
- Fol. 322. Micah. Gold ground. Prophet with book before city, angel with scroll 'les terres et les' in cloud.
- Fol. 324. Nahum. Blue chequer ground. Judgment. Christ, cross-numbed, showing the five wounds, throned on clouds. Virgin and Saint John on either side, winged angel with orb on the left, another with cross on the right. Below in initial on gold ground the dead rise from their graves.
- Fol. 325. Habukkuk. Blue chequer ground. Prophet looks up to dim, half-length nimbed figure of Deity in cloud.
- Fol. 326. Zephaniah. Red chequer and blue starred ground. Heaven and hell. Above a ring of cloud under starry sky are seen eight blessed spirits, five of them crowned, an angel on either side. Below, the damned, in flaming jaws of a huge monster, a devil at either side. The angel on the right casts one down to the devil, who seizes him.
- Fol. 327. Haggai. Gold ground. Three seated men, two with book, look up to winged angel in cloud.
- Fol. 328. Zechariah. Gold ground. Prophet stands prophesying, a city on either side, looking up to an angel above.
- Fol. 331 verso. Malachi. Blue chequer ground. Prophet with book, half-length figure of Deity dimly seen above.
- Fol. 333. 1 Maccabees. Gold ground. Battle of cavalry, all blue and buff. A fine miniature.
- Fol. 347. 2 Maccabees. Blue chequer ground. Group of eight Jews on the left, one presenting a letter to kneeling messenger.
- Fol. 356 verso. Matthew. Blue chequer ground. Adoration of the Magi.
- Fol. 373. Mark. Red chequer ground. The baptism in Jordan.
- Fol 384 verso. Luke. Gold ground. The evangelist writing at desk, nimbed head of lion withs cross, 'Marcus'.
- Fol. 403 verso. John. Red chequer ground. Similar to above, but in right corner a head of an eagle with scroll.
- Fol. 417. Romans. Gold ground. Apostle nimbed, seated at desk reads from book to five listeners on the right.
- Fol. 423. 1 Corinthians. Gold ground. Apostle writing, otherwise similar to fol. 417.
- Fol. 428 verso. 2 Corinthians. Blue chequer ground. Apostle writing, Timothy behind him, five listeners. Here title is wrong, it read 'Aus Timotheus'.
- Fol. 432. Galatians. Gold ground. Apostle seated writing at red desk, four nimbed men seated round him, one reading.
- Fol. 434. Ephesians. Blue chequer ground. Apostle seating writing at red desk, city of Ephesus in front of him.
- Fol. 435 verso. Philippians. Blue chequer ground. Apostle as in 69, Timothy in front of him with book (rubric wrong).
- Fol. 437. Colossians. Gold ground. Apostle writing at desk, Timothy beside him with book, city in front.
- Fol. 438. 1 Thessalonians. Apostle and Timothy writing, Silvanus sitting beside them.
- Fol. 439 verso. 2 Thessalonians. Gold ground. Apostle and Timothy write at desks facing right and left, Silvanus behind with book.
- Fol. 440. 1 Timothy. Red chequer ground. Apostle writing, Timothy facing him on the left.
- Fol. 441 verso. 2 Timothy. Red chequer ground. Apostle, standing by desk, hands a letter to kneeling messenger (rubric wrong).
- Fol. 443. Titus. Two sections. Red and blue chequer grounds. Apostle seating writing, without desk, messenger presents letter. In the other section Titus stands facing them (rubric wrong, reads 'ad hebreos').
- Fol. 443 verso. 2 Titus. Again with wrong rubric. Blue chequer ground. Apostle, standing by desk, giving letter to messenger. The last chapter of this is the Epistle to Philemon without an ornamental initial or miniature.
- Fol. 444 verso. Hebrews. Gold ground. Apostle writing, four listeners.
- Fol. 449. Act. Red chequer ground. Luke, seating at desk on the left, pointing to a book, Theophilus before him on the right.
- Fol. 463. James. Blue chequer ground. Saint James hands letter to messenger.
- Fol. 464 verso. 1 Peter. Gold ground. Apostle writing, city in front.
- Fol. 466. 2 Peter. Gold ground. Apostle writing, six listeners.
- Fol. 467. 1 John. Gold ground, similar to fol. 466.
- Fol. 468 verso. 2 John. Blue chequer. Apostle with scroll addresses a crowd seated in front of him.
- Fol. 469. 3 John. Blue chequer. Apostle seated hands letter to kneeling messenger.
- Fol. 469. Jude. Gold ground. Saint Jude with scroll, 'Judas serf' speaks to crowd of listeners.
- Fol. 470. Apocalypse. Red chequer ground. Apostle kneels before Christ, who hold in His hand seven stars, and has a gold girdle about His waist and two swords behind His head. Round about are seven golden candlesticks.
- Moulins, Guyart des, c 1251-c 1297 (French monk, scholar and translator of Latin Biblical texts) (Translator, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
3 bound MS volume
- Morey, James H. "Peter Comestor, Biblical Paraphrase, and the Medieval Popular Bible." Speculum 68, no. 1 (1993): 6-35
- Diamond, J. ‘Manufacture and market in Parisian book illumination’ in Europäische Kunst um 1300, Akten des XXV. Internationalen Kongresses für Kunstgeschichte (1986), p. 103 and fig. 55
- Alexander, J., ‘Preliminary marginal drawings in medieval MSS.’ In Artistes, artisans et production artistique au Moyen Age, ed. X. Barral I Altet (1986-90), iii. 307-19
- Millar, E., An Illum. MS of le Somme le Roy (Honoré) Rox. Cl. 1953
Binding: Rebound into three volumes c. 2004. Volume 1: ff.1-158, Volume 2: ff.159-318, Volume 3: ff.319-483.(Old Borland catalogue entry: Modern, stamped leather, 2 brass clasps. Lettered ' La Saincte Bible mcccxiiii MS. Gift of James Sutherland, Merchant of Edinburgh, 1680.')
Collation: 16 (wants 3 and 4), 28-588, 597, 608, 616=483.
- Moulins, Guyart des, c 1251-c 1297 (French monk, scholar and translator of Latin Biblical texts) (Translator, Person)
- Petrus, Comestor, fl 12th century (French theological writer) (Author, Person)
- Sutherland, James, fl 1680 (merchant of Edinburgh) (Donor, Person)