Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of notes and news cuttings at Dc.2.76/17, a dissertation at Gen. 1931, and three manuscript diaries at E2008.14.The material at Dc.2.76/17 consists of a notebook (circa 17 pages) with notes accompanying several newspaper cuttings on various University activities. The front cover is noted 'Edinburgh University / Various Student Activities / 1887-1888'. It contains clippings relating to: the Rectorial Elections 1887 and 1888 and from the ...
Manuscript entitled "An Enquiry into the Elements of General Therapeutics, with Special Illustrations, to which is prefixed an Essay on the Nature Value and Utility of Theory" by Robert Abraham
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1592
Content Description This is a manuscript on medicine and drugs written by Robert Abraham in 1825 in Carlisle and London.This manuscript comprises three sections, each including an index: Part First. "An Essay on the Nature, Value, and Utility of Theory", starting a few pages before p. 1; Part Second. "An Enquiry &c.' into the nature of narcotics, hypnotics, sleep, coma, mania, & idiocy",...
Dates: c 1825
Scope and Contents The collection comprises an Edinburgh University medal (bronze) awarded to Charles A. Anderson session 1888-1889, for the Senior Surgery class. The medal is mounted in a small case (Alex'r Kirkwood and Son, Medalists, 9 St. James Square, Edinburgh).
Scope and Contents The material in the collection is composed of: a list of candidates selected for Rockefeller Medical Studentships, 1942; a letter dated 3 June 1942 from the Universities Bureau of the British Empire indicating that travel arrangements had been made for passage to the USA; a typescript copy of the thesis entitled Fluid retention in patients with chronic liver disease by James S. Robson, M.B., Ch.B. (Hons), and with tables and figures to the thesis; and, a summary of...
Scope and Contents The scrapbook or album (commonplace book) contains class cards, class certificates, notes and other printed matter relating to the study period of James Kenneth Watson at Edinburgh University - covering 1888-91, and subjects such as Chemistry, Practical Chemistry, Anatomy, Practical Anatomy, Anatomical demonstrations, Botany, Natural History, Institutes of Medicine, Practical Physiology, Practical Pathology, Practical Materia Medica, including Pharmacy, Materia Medica, General Pathology,...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-346
Content Description This fonds consists of medals awarded to Emily Charlotte Thomson and Alexander Thomson , as well as one photograph depicting Emily Charlotte Thomson. Five medals of Alexander Thomson from the University of Edinburgh, in: chemistry (1886-87), practical physiology (1887-88), natural history (1887), Institute of Medicine (1887-88), and a blank one on the same model. Three medals of Emily Charlotte...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1879-1891
Notebooks of lectures at the University of Edinburgh, taken down by Robert Low Orr and William J. Orr
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of 20 notebooks containing notes on legal and medical lectures given at the University of Edinburgh, taken down by Robert Low Orr and William J. Orr. Also includes some class cards, exam papers, and ephemera of Robert Low Orr. Robert Low Orr: Lectures on Metaphysics (Fraser) Robert Low Orr: Law lectures (Muirhead, Macpherson) Robert Low Orr: Scots law...
Scope and Contents Three bound volumes of notes of lectures 'on the practice of physic', given by James Gregory (1753-1821), Professor of Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. The volumes have a bookplate with the letters 'RB'.
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of Anne Davies's papers relating to her life as a medical student at the University of Edinburgh between 1939 and 1945, and to her training in three hospitals in the mid and late 1940s. It also includes photographs relating to class reunions and to the Edinburgh Graduate Association, of which she was president for a year. Student notes, c 1939-1944; 1969. Student manuals and...
Dates: c 1920-1990
Content Description This fonds consists of the papers of Colonel Cecil Charles Murison, physician and surgeon in the Indian Medical Service. It contains: Certificates earned when he was studying in Edinburgh and in Liverpool, and in the Indian Military Service (1891-1930); Published medical articles by Col. Murison and some related correspondence (1901-1926); Small portrait photograph (undated)...
- Medical students 7
- Medicine 7
- University of Edinburgh -- students 5
- Student lecture notes 4
- University of Edinburgh -- student lecture notes 4
- Medicine | History | 3
- Students 3
- Medals 2
- Photographs 2
- University of Edinburgh -- Medals 2
- Women in medicine 2
- Women students 2
- Albums 1
- Commonplace-books 1
- Diaries 1
- Drugs 1
- Examination Papers 1
- Forensic medicine 1
- Hockey 1
- India 1
- Indian Medical Service 1
- Law (Scotland) 1
- Materia medica 1
- Medical students | Scotland | 1
- Medicine | Research | 1
- Medicine | Study and teaching | 1
- Medicine | Study and teaching | Edinburgh (Scotland) | 1
- Metaphysics 1
- Order of St. John 1
- Pathology 1
- Photograph albums 1
- Photographs -- Student Groups 1
- Physicians 1
- Sketchbooks & albums 1
- University of Edinburgh -- Alumni and alumnae 1
- University of Edinburgh -- Group photograph 1
- Veterinary Medicine 1
- Veterinary students | 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- photograph 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- English 5
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 4
- Abraham, Robert, fl 1823-1825 (Physician, journalist and lawyer; University of Edinburgh alumnus) 1
- Anderson, Charles A., fl. 1888-1934 (surgeon) 1
- Cabbell, J, fl 1750s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Carruthers, Dr., Samuel William, 1866-1962 (Doctor; Anaesthetist) 1
- Fraser, Thomas Richard, Sir, 1841-1920 (physician and pharmacologist, professor of medicine at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Gregory, James, 1753-1821 (professor of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- McMillen, Frederick Hugh, fl 1938-1943 (Veterinary student) 1
- Monro, Alexander, 'primus', 1697-1767 (Professor of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Murison, Cecil Charles, 1874-1942 (Colonel, Indian Medical Service) 1
- NHS Education for Scotland 1
- Orr, Robert Low, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Orr, William J, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Robson, James Scott, Professor, 1921-2010 (professor of medicine, Edinburgh University) 1
- Royal (Dick) Veterinary College (1839-1951| veterinary college) 1
- Royal Medical Society (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Rutherford, John, 1695-1779 (Professor of Medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Schofield, Anne Dollar, 1921-2015 (née Davies | Physician) 1
- Thomson, Alexander, fl 1880s (doctor, Edinburgh University medical student) 1
- Thomson, Emily Charlotte, 1864-1955 (doctor; medical officer to Dundee Women's Hospital) 1
- Watson, James Kenneth, fl.1885-1896 (surgeon) 1 ∧ less