Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents Scrapbook entitled 'A Collection of pamphlets etc. on the Earldom of Mar' containing pamphlets, letters, reports, transcripts, and newspaper cuttings related to the controversy regarding the Earl of Mar title that took place during the years 1875-1885, opposing Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of Kellie, and John Francis Goodeve-Erskine, Earl of Mar. The texts collected in this scrapbook clearly defend the latter.The dispute spanned over 10 years, and was between Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-372
Scope and Contents Correspondence Frederick Couper's testimonials Notes and documents relating to genealogy and family history Legal documents Photographs of Frederick Couper Bookkeeping notebook A substantial archive of original manuscript correspondence, documents, photographs and printed material relating to the...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Content Description This fonds consists of students records, correspondence, diaries, photographs, and training books formerly belonging to Flying Officer John V. Stuart Duncan RAFVR, killed aged 20 on active service in Weston Zoyland, Somerset, on 30 May 1943. School and University records; Diaries (one marked vol. 2, one small diary); Letters during his time in the UK; while training in Florida;...
Dates: c 1920s-c 1940s
Scope and Contents The papers at shelfmark Gen. 2044-2073 consist of notebooks of notes from lectures at Edinburgh University and in India, 1878-1890.At MSS 2592-2593 there are personal papers including correspondence, a school notebook of handwriting dated 1875, and a school fees receipt dated 1869; photographs; notes of Natural Philosophy classes, 1879; and, essays, 1879. There is material marking celebrations of Edinburgh University Tercentenary; material of the Dialectic Society and the Diagnostic...
Dates: circa 1869-1930
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Dates: 1817-1867; c 1910-1962
Content Description This fonds contains the papers of: Professor Alexander Christison FRSE (1751-1820), Professor of Humanity at the University of Edinburgh from 1806 to his death in 1820, father of Sir Robert Christison. Sir Robert Christison, 1st Baronet, FRSE FRCSE FRCPE (1797-1882), toxicologist and physician, father of Sir Alexander Christison (1828-1918). John Christison (1789-1862),...
Dates: 1785-1904; 1979
Content Description Collection of six ornately decorated 18th-century manuscript documents relating to the Cochrane family of Scotland, including two marriage documents and four burgess tickets: Two documents relating to the marriage of William Cochrane and Agnes Carse, both dated 19 July 1706, Edinburgh: a marriage contract, listing over 400 points on which they pledged agreement, measuring 30 cm x 274 cm ; and a marriage...
Scope and Contents Sketchbooks and papers relating to the Harman family and their travel around Europe, including Ireland and Italy.
Content Description This fonds consists of the family papers of the Scott Family, whose lineage can be traced back to Walter Scott, who served as a Burgess of Edinburgh around 1521. The material comprises genealogical research notes, correspondence, historical charters (including one dated 1663, with a wax seal), official records (both originals and copies), photographs (including what appears to be daguerreotypes or ambrotypes), as well as a badge and a medal from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.The...
- Family History 3
- Correspondence 2
- Diaries 2
- Genealogy 2
- Lectures and Lecturing 2
- Legal documents | Scotland | 2
- Photographs 2
- University of Edinburgh -- students 2
- Charters 1
- Christianity 1
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 1
- Education, Higher 1
- Family archives 1
- Family records | 1
- Golf 1
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 1
- History, 19th century (Scotland) 1
- India -- Madras 1
- Leith (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Marriage 1
- Medals 1
- Military decorations 1
- Peerage claims 1
- Peers 1
- Pilots 1
- Sketchbooks & albums 1
- Soldiers 1
- Travel writing 1
- Voyages and Travel 1
- Watercolor painting 1
- Wax seal 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945 | Personal narratives 1
- ambrotypes (photographs) 1
- daguerreotypes (photographs) 1
- guilds 1 ∧ less
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Carse, Agnes, fl 1706 (wife of William Cochrane, Edinburgh) 1
- Christison, Sir Robert, 1797-1882 (1st Baronet | Scottish toxicologist and physician) 1
- Cochrane, James, fl 1700-1799 (Edinburgh printer) 1
- Cochrane, William, d before 1718 (Edinburgh writer ) 1
- Couper, Frederick, fl 1870s-1920s (Scottish marine engineer) 1
- Duncan, John V Stuart, d 1943 (British soldier) 1
- Edinburgh University Diagnostic Society 1
- Edinburgh University Dialectic Society 1
- Harman, Nathaniel Bishop-, fl 1890-1935 (physician) 1
- Macphail, Earle Monteith, 1861-1937 (Principal of Madras Christian College) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1 ∧ less