Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Content Description This fonds consists of autograph sheet music, printed music sheets, notebooks, and diaries of Sheena Lillian Tennant Kendall, "one of the first women composers" who studied under the famous Parisian composer and music teacher Nadia Boulanger. Most items are related to Kendall's music and her music- and theatre-related social activities in Munich and in London, but there are also three diaries describing her trip to India in 1912-1913. ...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1592
Content Description This collection includes a printed book with two enclosures, printed ephemera, and two medals related to harpist Helen Patuffa Hood and her mother Marjory Kennedy-Fraser, Scottish musician and folk-song collector. The printed book is a signed copy of The Road to the Isles (Edinburgh: Robert Grant & Son, 1927) by Kenneth Macleod given by the author himself to Patuffa as...
Dates: 1889; 1925-1928; 1946
Collection of Old Scots Tunes [...] Set and most humbly dedicated to the Right Honorable Lady Erskine, by Francis Barsanti
Scope and Contents The content of the work is: 'Dumbarton's Drums', Kat Oggie', 'Ettrick Banks', 'Lochaber', 'The Lass of Peatie's mill', 'The Highland Laddie', 'Busk ye buske ye my bonny bride', 'The last time I came o'er the moor', 'Corn riggs are bonny', 'Waly waly', 'Johnnie Faa', 'Lord Aboyne's welcome or Cumbernauld House', 'The Bush aboon Traquair', 'To danton me', 'The Birks of Envermay', 'Fife and all the Lands about it', 'Peggy I must love thee', 'Logan water', 'Pinkie House', 'The Sutours of Selkirk',...
Concert programmes of the Orchestral Lecture-Concerts for School Children in the Usher Hall, 1924-1928
Scope and Contents The concert programmes consist of: 4th Orchestral Lecture-Concert for School Children in the Usher Hall, Friday 22 February 1924. Education Authority for Edinburgh 5th Orchestral Lecture-Concert for School Children in the Usher Hall, Friday 29 February 1924. Education Authority for Edinburgh 6th Orchestral Lecture-Concert for School Children in the Usher Hall, Friday 7 March...
Scope and Contents In addition to the Concert Programmes there is a copy of a Questionnaire on Youth Orchestras sent by a researcher to the Orchestra in 1988, along with the answers prepared for the form, and associated correspondence. The collection of Concert Programmes is composed of: 1 x copy of programme for Concert by Preparatory Orchestra and Pupils at St. Cuthbert's Hall on Saturday, 9th December 1933 ...
Scope and Contents All three letters are on the letterhead of 'Wansfell', 18 Chesterfield Gardens, Hampstead NW 3, and dated 17 January 1921, 8 February 1921, and 17 February 1922. Each open with the salutation, 'My dear Patuffa'. The letter of 17 January 1921 begins, 'I have just found, to my much delight, Mrs Kennedy Fraser's invitation to your wedding, wh. reached me at Betty-Fold, our house at the Lakes'. Holiday had hoped to attend, 'but when I unpacked the invitation had disappeared'. He...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Content Description The collection contains music, orchestrations and arrangements for strings, wind, brass etc by Professor Sir Herbert Stanley Oakeley. Many of the sheets are stamped Edinburgh University, Musical Society. There are also board-mounted diplomas and certificates, with list of these.Music in Box 1: Die Ehre Gottes in der Natur It was a friar of orders grey The Briton's fatherland Volkslied by Mendelsohn Freedom Up in the morning early...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1102
Scope and Contents This fonds contains paper documents such as correspondence to Helen Patuffa Hood, concerts programmes and other printed materials; artworks by Helen Patuffa Hood; and material related to the book Songs of the Hebrides. In the out-sized box are some photographs of Helen Patuffa Hood and Marjory Kennedy-Fraser.
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of a typed draft, other drafts, a spiral bound copy of Donald Francis Tovey a portrait of a great man and a loose-leaf copy. There is also correspondence, transcriptions and copies of correspondence, scripts, notes, talks, programmes, photographs, and ephemera.
Scope and Contents The content of the Papers at shelfmark Gen. 273-286 include a manuscript volume of Gaelic songs, manuscripts and proofs of The songs of the Hebrides, papers relating to The Seal Woman, proofs of Life of Song, and newspaper cuttings. Correspondence at shelfmark Gen. 519-520 includes letters from various members of the Kennedy family in Italy to the family at home, 1879-1880, letters to Marjory...
- Music 7
- Musicians 7
- women musicians 6
- Music | 20th century 3
- Composers 2
- Conductors (Music) 2
- Folk music -- Scotland 2
- Folk songs, Scots 2
- Medals 2
- Music | 19th century | 2
- Orchestra 2
- Songs, Scottish Gaelic 2
- women artists 2
- Concerts 1
- Harpists 1
- India 1
- Music History and criticism 1
- Photographs 1
- Printed ephemera 1
- Programmes 1
- Scottish Gaelic language 1
- Sheet music 1
- Songbooks, Scottish Gaelic 1
- Songs 1
- Theatre 1
- Travel writing 1
- University of Edinburgh -- Medals 1
- Women students 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- English 4
- Hood, Helen Patuffa, 1889-1967 (harpist) 3
- Fraser, Marjory Kennedy-, 1857-1930 (singer, pianist, folk-song collector and arranger) 2
- Barsanti, Francis, 1690-1772, flautist, oboist, composer. 1
- Boughton, Alice, 1866-1943 (Photographer) 1
- Boulanger, Juliette Nadia, 1887-1979 (French composer and music teacher) 1
- Education Authority for Edinburgh 1
- Firth, George, 1901-1983 (scientist, professional singer, teacher, choral and orchestral conductor, lecturer, administrator and author) 1
- Grierson, Mary Gardner (pianist and conductor) 1
- Holiday, Henry, 1839-1927 (pre-Raphaelite painter) 1
- Kendall, Sheena Lilian Grant, 1883-1974 (composer) 1
- Macleod, Kenneth, 1871-1955 (Church of Scotland minister and folklorist) 1
- Newman, Sidney Thomas Mayow (Reid Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Oakeley, Herbert Stanley, Sir, 1830-1903 (Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Sanders, Dora Susan Chalmers, fl. 1924-1928 (student; wife of James Russell Turner) 1
- Struthers, Christina, d. 1944 (Mus.Bac. 1899 | wife of Frederick Niecks) 1
- Tovey, Sir Donald Francis, 1875-1940 (Reid Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Waddell Orchestra and Soloists 1
- Waddell, Maimie, fl. 1933-1984 (conductor) 1
- Waddell, Ruth, 1891-1980 (violoncello teacher and performer) 1
- Weisse, Sophie, 1852-1945 (Scottish music teacher) 1 ∧ less