Funeral Rites and Ceremonies
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = NAHSTE
Found in 53 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note entitled 'Iona Names' containing scholarly suggestions for the origins of the name 'Iona' citing Irish, Hebrew, Greek and Latin as possible origins and noting that Norse writers call the island 'Insula Sancta Holy Island'. The note continues that 'Sodora' was the name for the village on Iona in old times and that no women were allowed to be buried near 'the Great church' as late as 1693. Note concludes 'M[anu]s[cript] writer unknown'.
Scope and Contents Note entitled 'Purgatory' collected on the Isle of Barra [Barraigh] explaining the four stages of purgatory. The note then goes on to describe prayers made by women especially at funerals for the souls of the departed. Carmichael notes 'No cairns in Barra for the dead'. This text has been scored through in ink as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: September 1872
Scope and Contents Note entitled 'Wakes' describing how at the death of an old person, a man would be appointed 'Rìgh Geigein' or king of the wake. After midnight he would undergo certain difficulties, including having water poured over his head or his face blackened with soot. Carmichael notes 'There was a crook (stick) which acted a great part' adding that Rev D MacKay got it [the custom] in Creich [Sutherland].
Dates: 27 October 1873
Scope and Contents Note that peat-cutting is disliked on Fuday [Fuidheigh, An Caolas Barrach/Sound of Barra] as peats are burnt around a corpse there.
Dates: 31 May 1877
Scope and Contents Note regarding grave-digging on Fridays that 'In some of the isles no Grave was opened on Friday nor person buried'.
Scope and Contents Notes and story about the Lochlannaich [Vikings] probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay telling how they lived on Fuda [Fuidheigh/Fuday] and were killed there by Mac an Amhrais, an illegitimate son of MacNeil of Barra to prove, at MacNeil's request, that he was his son. The informant states, 'The Lochlannaich at one time owned all these islands,' and had a king called Barp 'who was the embodi[ment] of al that was fierce cruel and murderous'. When he died...
Notes on place-names and archaeology made on a journey between Caolas Stiatair House and Tarbert market, 7 July 1870
Scope and Contents Notes on place-names and archaeology made on a journey between Caolas Stiatair House and Tarbert market [An Tairbeart, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] with Rev. Don[ald] Macintosh [MacKintosh], S[outh] Uist [Uibhist a Deas] and Mr Archie MacRae, Huisinnish [Huisinis]. The notes are quite abbreviated but include a mention of trap dykes at Loch chistevad [Loch Cisteabhat] in the middle of which was a castle, which someone tried to drain to get to the castle but failed; and a note that nearby at Clach...
Dates: 7 July 1870
Identifier: BAI 7/10
Scope and Contents Order of service (3 of) from the funeral of Donald Macpherson Baillie.
Scope and Contents Song collected from 'Ceit wife [of] Don[ald] MacKin[n]on nee Urqhuart', Tarasaigh/Taransay beginning 'Ailein Dhuinn shiulainn leat, M iar[rtas] eir Ri[gh nan] aingeaol'. The song was composed by Ana ni Dhonil ic Iain oig Chaimbeul [Anna Campbell] who was engaged to Allan Morrison of Crossobost, Lews [Crosbost, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis], who drowned. She was said to have died soon after of a broken heart and was to be buried at Rodail [Rodel] and ended up being buried at sea, near to her...
Dates: 7 August 1870
Scope and Contents Song entitled 'Cumha Mhic an Toisich' [Cumha Mhic an Tòisich or MacIntosh's Lament] collected from Mor Nic Neil, daughter of Alexander MacNeil, Ceantang[abhal] [Marion MacNeil, Ceanntangabhal/Kentangaval, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] beginning ''S mise bhean mhul[adach] giulan a churaic'. The song is composed of sixty-five lines, mostly set out as four line stanzas. The text has been scored through in ink and a note written transversely across the first page of text reads 'Sent to the Highlander 4th...
Dates: 25 September 1872 and 4 January 1876