Skip to main content

Notes on place-names and archaeology made on a journey between Caolas Stiatair House and Tarbert market, 7 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/1

Scope and Contents

Notes on place-names and archaeology made on a journey between Caolas Stiatair House and Tarbert market [An Tairbeart, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] with Rev. Don[ald] Macintosh [MacKintosh], S[outh] Uist [Uibhist a Deas] and Mr Archie MacRae, Huisinnish [Huisinis]. The notes are quite abbreviated but include a mention of trap dykes at Loch chistevad [Loch Cisteabhat] in the middle of which was a castle, which someone tried to drain to get to the castle but failed; and a note that nearby at Clach an Ulai[dh] treasure was hidden in front of four [-] and is searched for regularly [at] Aoi an Tao tua and Aoi-Tharasi [Aoi an Taobh Tuath, Uidh, Tarasaidh/Taransay]. Also mentioned is Dun-Bhuill [possibly Dùn Bhuirgh] stating that hardly any of it is left as the stones were used for building; that Dunan na Caillich is on a deep loch and that south of this at Nisebost [Niosabost] is a crom leac [cromlech] which was excavated by 'the late minister of Harris'; that there is an obelisk west of Niosabost; and that there are cairns along the route for corpses being carried to the graveyard to be rested on.

Dates

  • 7 July 1870

Language of Materials

Gaelic English

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 64 folios ; 19.5 x 23 cm

Physical Location

5.07

Physical Location

folio 1r, line 1 to folio 1r, line 24

Related Materials

Coll-97/CW116/2 and Coll-97/CW116/3 - notes taken on the same trip.

Repository Details

Part of the Edinburgh University Library Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Centre for Research Collections
University of Edinburgh Main Library
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Scotland
+44(0)131 650 8379