Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note collected from Roderick MacNeil, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay which reads, 'Crois an t suichain [Crois an t-Suidheachain] where the priest used to say mass in the olden times.'
Dates: 23 May 1869
Scope and Contents Note about the island Eilean Mhunde [Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] that it is connected to Saint Munn and that half of it belongs to Callart and half to Bailchaolais [Ballachulish]. Carmichael notes that 'They used to hear prayers on Sgeir a Phobiull at night ...& music of a beaut[iful] kind as of sweet voic[e]d saints'. There is a ruined fort on the top of the island.
Dates: August 1883
Scope and Contents Note about worship by druids in the Outer Hebrides including a description of the worship on sìthean [fairy hills] and their burning of fires there. Also lists the various festivals which they would celebrate and that they influenced the naming of fairy hills. Carmichael notes the fairy hill at Fi-leum Stronnd [Srannda/Strond, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] and to ask a woman called Beathag in Berneray [Beàrnaraigh] about Croc-sonari there.
Scope and Contents Place-name note probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay for which reads 'Crois-an-t suidheachain. A place the priests had for perform[ing] div[ine] worship. Leapanan Chaluim Chille is close at hand.' Carmichael adds a reminder to 'See cross at Dunganich' [Dùn Gainmhich/Dunganichy Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula].
Dates: 8 August 1867
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alex[ander] Macdonald or Alast[air] na h-ainne, Clad[dach] Kirkibost [Cladach Chirchboist, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] recalling the day that a wall fell down at Carnish Temple [Teampull na Trionaid]. The Dall mor [Dall Mòr] was holding a meeting there when he saw a bit of lime the size of a whelk fall and it occurred to him that the wall would fall down, so he whispered this to the Dall Mòr and the building was evacuated. 'They had hardly done so when the gable fell with a...
Dates: January 1871
Scope and Contents Story collected from Hector MacLeod, aged 85, at Caisteal Bhuirgh/Borve Castle, Lionacleit/Linaclate, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula telling how when he was about twelve years old [c1798] he remembers the old people going to the tota [tobhta or ruin] at Bail-uachdrach [possibly Kenuachrach] to say their paidir as a pearsa eaglais [priest] was not able to come every Sunday. This suggests that the ruin was originally a church.
Dates: 20 January 1871
Scope and Contents Story about the worship of marked stones by followers of Una Nin Ri Lochlan [Una Nighean Rìgh Lochlann] on Unival [Uineabhal, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist]. It notes that any of Una's men who did not worship the images or were guilty of crime were made to move the stones as were any who 'Kept a fire alive at Beatlain [Bealltainn]'. The note also mentions barps at Langass and Tai Cloiche Mharadh [Langais and Taigh Cloiche, Marrogh]. Carmichael also adds a quote relating to the MacAulay family...
Scope and Contents Story relating to Teampull Bholley [Teampull Mholuaidh, Eòropaidh/Eoropie, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] and 'An Groey' probably collected from Angus Gunn, cottar, Dail bho Thuath/North Dell, Nis/Ness, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. He describes how Pollaig [Moluag] built the temple to include an echo but that he had no roof. While asleep he heard a voice telling him to go to Tràigh Sheannta [Traigh Shanndaigh], which he did and then oak was washed ashore which made a roof without using nails:...
Dates: 27 October 1873
Scope and Contents No author, date, or title. It has been noted in previous historical records by the first line of the text: U-urramaich ge d' is mòr mo bharail do ghliocas, which translates as 'Your honour, although my opinion of your widsom is great'. It appears to be religious in tone, perhaps an address to God.
Dates: 18th century