Skip to main content

Fortifications

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 58 Collections and/or Records:

Note about Dun Na Ruai, September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/146
Scope and Contents Note about Dun Na Ruai [Dùn Loch nic Ruaidhe, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] describing its composition as good square blocks of stone, like those at Aird Bhinn [possibly Àird Mhidhinis], an irregular oval shap and full of mountain ash and brambles. Also notes that a clachan goes from the shore.
Dates: September 1872

Note about Dun-virimil [Dùn Bhioramuill], August 1886

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/48
Scope and Contents Note about Dun-virimil [Dùn Bhioramuill, Ulbha/Ulva] that it is 'where Clark of Ulva bury [buried] - took up large stone, fine shot high.'
Dates: August 1886

Note about Dunbeag Gearrameanoch, 26 March 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/28
Scope and Contents Note about Dunbeag Gearrameanoch [Dun Beag, Gearraidh Meadhanach, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that it is the 'largest among these'. Also notes that there is a house near it in which sometimes the ashes of the fire are blown about by the wind coming through the floor.
Dates: 26 March 1872

Note about Dunmeanach, 26 March 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/32
Scope and Contents Notes about Dunmeanach and Dùn Mhic Mhathain [Dùn Meadhanach, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that a house was built in the side of Dùn Meadhanach and that ashes were blown about [in the house]. Some of the items found in the dun are listed, including a short sword and brass balls. Dùn Mhic Mhathain is described as 'only a large mound of grass grown stones'. The duns are within a hundred yards of each other. Carmichael also notes that John Macintire saw seven cats come out of the cave [Ua[mh]...
Dates: 26 March 1872

Note about duns and foot-marked rocks on the Isle of Barra, 24 September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/102
Scope and Contents Note about duns and foot-marked rocks on the Isle of Barra [Barraigh] including Dùn Briain, Dun Chiu'ir [Dùn Chuidhir] and Dùnan Ruadh, Creaga la'uir and Ciste nan Cli'eann, which is described as having 'a wall of rock on each side'. Also mentioned is a high rock behind Lorg Mhic De and Lorg an Donais, which a large footmark and a small footmark in it.
Dates: 24 September 1872

Note about duns at Dunsgeig and Carradale, June 1887

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW89/100
Scope and Contents Note about duns at Dun Sgeig and Carradale [Dùn Skeig and Càradal both Cinn Tìre/Kintyre] that one 'is a pen[insula] nearly an island.'
Dates: June 1887

Note about duns in Barra, September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/148
Scope and Contents Note about duns in Barra which reads 'Dun an Sgialaiche Cliat op[po]s[ite] Cuir 25 duns in Barra'.
Dates: September 1872

Note about duns in Harris and on the placename 'Piocair', c1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/60
Scope and Contents Note about duns in Harris [Na Hearadh] and on the placename 'Piocair'. Duns listed include Dun-nise Gall at Cairminnis in Strand [Dùn Innisgall, Cairminis, Srannda/Strond], Dun Lochann duin, Scalpey [Dùn Loch an Duin, Scalpaigh/Scalpay] and Clach a Phiocair, 'one of the stones of the dun on Loch Steisevad' [Clach a' Phiocair, Loch Steisebhat]. Carmichael notes there is a dun north of Rodal [Roghadal/Rodel] and that Donl Macmillan [Donald MacMillan] there can show him the Picts' house at N[orth]...
Dates: c1872

Note about St Clair Castle, September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/144
Scope and Contents Note about St Clair Castle [Dùn Mhic Leòid, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] describing its position as about being a hundred yards from shore, and built on an artificial isle. He describes the stone used for building it, the door and that there are three sides to it.
Dates: September 1872

Note about stones from Dun nan gallan and Dun b[aile] Gharvai, 26 March 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/30
Scope and Contents Note about stones from Dun nan gallan and Dun b[aile] Gharvai [Dùn nan Gallan and Dùn Baile Gharbhaidh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that that they were 'taken across the lakes during an extra frost 50 years ago [c1822]. The stones taken across on losgun [sledges/losgainn].'
Dates: 26 March 1872