Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject HeadingsScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 58 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Placename note entitled 'Na Duin' [Na Dùin or The Duns] listing fifteen duns on Beàrnaraigh/Berneray, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Pabaigh/Pabbay, Sanndraigh/Sandray, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay and Barraigh/Isle of Barra.
Scope and Contents Sketch of 'Dun Ban' [Dùn Bàn, possibly Barraigh/Isle of Barra] showing it to be on a peninsula and marking measurements noting that there are 'Holes and stones and Rabbit warren' there. It also marks a 'Black Rock' adjacent to it.
Dates: 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Sketch plan of Dun a Chaolais Bhatarsay [Dùn a' Chaolais, Bhataraisgh/Vatersay]. The sketch shows three concentric circles marked as ' Wall', 'Passage' and 'Wall', with their measurements noted. The circles are on a rounded oblong described as a 'Raised platform outside built of stones'. A compass is marked on teh sketch showing that the oblong runs north to south. A note written on what would be the west side of the dùn reads 'West Oscean (sic) not in sight - Rising hill between. Maoldonaich...
Scope and Contents Story about Eilean or Caisteal Bheagram, telling how it was built by Allan mac Iain mhic Iain Mhuideartich [Allan MacDonald] a brother of Clanranald. He began building at 'Iollan a chaisteal at Fadhail Hough', which he abandoned and then built Caisteal Bheagram. His son, Ranald, lived at Caisteal Bhuirgh [Borve Castle, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula] which according to John mac Eachain was built by Eifirig ni Choinnich. A deleted note states that Flora MacDonald sailed with the Prince [Charles...
Dates: 13 April 1870
Scope and Contents Story about Ruai Mhor, daughter of Rìgh Lochlann, that Dun Loch Nic an Ruaidh [Dùn Loch nic Ruaidhe, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] was built for her as she was sought by many Lochlann heroes: 'They would come to the slope opposite & look on & wi[th] great delight to get a look at her even at a distance. They lived at Dun a' Bhairp [Dùn Bharpa]'. Carmichael also notes down Dun a ghlinne, Auin an Duin and Lamruig an Duin, [Dùn a' Ghlinne, Abhainn an Dùin and Lamraig an Dùin, all Barraigh/Isle...
Dates: 24 September 1872
Scope and Contents Story entitled 'Cruban Dunan is Baidein' telling of three brothers who were the first people to come to Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire. They came from Ceannloch [Kinloch] and Crùban built Dun Chrubain [Dùn hrùban] and Dùnan and Baidein were to build together on Druim an Dunain [Druim an dùnain] but quarrelled and so Baidein left for Sailean Sligeanach in Benderloch [Sàilean Sligeanach, Meudarloch] where he built his own township, which he called Dun Bhaidein [Dùn Bhaidein]. He...
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Photograph of Tippu's Rock, part of a fortress, in India in the early 20th century.
Scope and Contents Two sketch plans of Dun-Torcuil [Dùn Thorcuill/Dun Torcuill, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist], the first noting the dimensions of the walls including any difference between the sizes at the bottom or the top of the wall, and the location of the passageway. The circular shape of the dun has been marked into four sections and measured according to those areas. The second has also been marked in this way but contains many fewer measurements.
Dates: 28 May 1871