Skip to main content

Fortifications

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 58 Collections and/or Records:

Notes about archaeological sites around Isle of Barra, Vatersay and Uist, especially relating to taigh talmhanta [earth houses], September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/166
Scope and Contents Notes about archaeological sites around Isle of Barra, Vatersay and Uist [Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh and Uibhist], especially relating to taigh talmhanta [earth houses], including those at Ceann Trai, Chliat [probably Dùn Chliobh, Cliaid/Cleit], Dun-Buie [Dùn Buidhe], Dun an tutaim [Dùn ] and Gunairi Rulias [Beinn Ghunnaraigh, Rubha Lias/Ruleos]. Carmichael describes a beehive house at Croc Thigh on the south side of Shiar Bhagh [Cnoc Thaigh, Tràigh Siar, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay] and also mentions...
Dates: September 1872

Notes about Dun Othail, 17 October 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/84
Scope and Contents Notes about Dun Othail [Dùn Othail, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] that it is a detached rock which overhangs the sea, is about two hundred feet high on teh sea side, has ruins on the top and is level with the land. He notes that it is 'Whilly impregnable except to guns.'
Dates: 17 October 1873

Notes and calculations on the size of Dun Bearnara, 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/27
Scope and Contents Notes and calculations on the size of Dun Bearnara [Dùn Beàrnaraigh, Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] including the length of the inside circle, inside pillar gate, outside curve, walls and doors.
Dates: 1867

Notes and story about the Lochlannaich [Vikings], 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/71
Scope and Contents Notes and story about the Lochlannaich [Vikings] probably collected from Roderick MacNeil, aged 88, crofter, Miùghlaigh/Mingulay telling how they lived on Fuda [Fuidheigh/Fuday] and were killed there by Mac an Amhrais, an illegitimate son of MacNeil of Barra to prove, at MacNeil's request, that he was his son. The informant states, 'The Lochlannaich at one time owned all these islands,' and had a king called Barp 'who was the embodi[ment] of al that was fierce cruel and murderous'. When he died...
Dates: 1867

Notes on Caisteal a Mhorair or Bhorain, Bagh-Ghearadh, Tolasta, 17 October 1873

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/83
Scope and Contents Notes on Caisteal a Mhorair or Bhorain, Bagh-Ghearadh, Tolasta [Tràigh Ghearadha, Tolstadh Bho Thuath, Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis] that it is a detached rock about one hundred feet high on which there are the remains of a house. A 'rocky dangerous path goes up on one side' and it 'Stands out ab[ou]t 60 y[ar]ds fr[om] precipce on southside' with the walls of the ruins following the edge of the rock making it 'Impreg[nable] except to guns'. He adds that a Lewis proprietor sent his wife there...
Dates: 17 October 1873

Notes on Dun Buie and Dun 'ic Mhathain and accompanying story, 26 March 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/27
Scope and Contents Note on Dun Buie [Dùn Buidhe, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] describing its situation and accompanying story possibly collected from Donald MacInnes aged 73 of Buail-uacrach, Iocar [Buail'-uachdrach/Bualuachrach, Ìochdar] which tells of the witch who lived in Uamh Nic Amhais and who was seen by a young lad spinning 'driamlach' [fishing line] into a web. Although she asked him not to tell anyone about it, he did and consequently drowned. She also cursed five brothers who were out fishing, four of...
Dates: 26 March 1872

Notes on Dun Dallabrig, 8 May 1877

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/61
Scope and Contents Notes on Dun Dallabrig [Dù n Dalabrog, Dalabrog/Daliburgh, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] and that it was a large dun and was where the Catholic chapel stood.
Dates: 8 May 1877

Notes on Dun-nan-Torr, 1877

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW108/26
Scope and Contents Notes on the composition of Dun-nan-Torr, Killepheadar [Cille Pheadair/Kilpheder, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist].
Dates: 1877

Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay], 13 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/87
Scope and Contents Notes on the island of Esaidh [Easaigh/Ensay, Siorramachd Inbhir-Nis/Inverness-shire] that Arch[ibald] Stewart, proprietor of Taigh Easaigh [Ensay House] had made good additions to a fine house but that it was too close to the bay - 'This is its only fault'. The situation and composition of the old temple is noted and that it is being used as a stable and of the same style as Teampull Tao Deas [Teampull Taobh Deas/Teampull an t-Sagairt, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris]. Also noted is Croc a caisteal...
Dates: 13 July 1870

Place-name note for Taransay, 7 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/6
Scope and Contents Place-name note which reads 'An Dun above the houses in Taransaidh, Dun Chlach north of this. Aird Mhanuis (Manus) arable land.' [Dùn , Dùn Chlach, Àird Mhànais, Tarasaigh/Taransay]
Dates: 7 July 1870