Skip to main content

Fortifications

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Created For = CW

Found in 58 Collections and/or Records:

Incomplete story about duns and Lochlannaich [Vikings], 1867

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/47
Scope and Contents Incomplete story about duns and Lochlannaich [Vikings] describing how the people in Dùn Mhiùghlaigh [Miùghlaigh/Mingulay] were throwing arrows at the people on Githarum [Gèarum Mòr] and the Lochlannaich so that they had to move to Dùn Bhriste [Beàrnaraigh/Berneray] but the Miùghlaigh people attacked them again and they had to move further and further north to get away from them. The incomplete part of the story begins to tell about the arrival of a Lochlannaich vessel with wood.
Dates: 1867

Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites on An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye, 18 December 1865

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/3
Scope and Contents Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites in which Carmichael describes leaving Lochmaddy [Loch nam Madadh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and arriving at Ord [An t-Òrd, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye]. He notes that two stone coffins were found at Ionnaraulaviag or Ionnaraulaigidh [Inbhir Amhlabhaig/Inver Aulavaig] in the summer of 1864. He notes stones and rocks called Clach ullain, Eilean Ruridh [Clach Ullain and Eilean Ruairidh] and that on the latter...
Dates: 18 December 1865

Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including archaeological notes, January 1866

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/4
Scope and Contents Journal account of a trip to the Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis including a description of the standing stones at Callanish [Calanais], telling how local people call them 'Na Tursachain' and 'na Fir bhreige' adding 'They make out that they cannot be counted'. He also describes another stone circle nearby at Gearradh na h-abhine [Gearraidh na h-Aibhne/Garynahine] as 'a circle within a circle' and names some of the island's other stone circles: Taigh nan Druiean at Grimartaidh and Gleann sagairt...
Dates: January 1866

Note about a dun on Loch Beag Keantangval, 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW107/16
Scope and Contents Note that a dun on Loch Beag Keantangval [Bàgh Beag, Ceanntangbhal/Kentangaval, Barraigh/Barra] was where Ciosmaol Castle [Caisteal Chiosmuil/Kisimul Castle] was to have been built but it was found to be unsuitable as 'This is an arm of the sea so narrow at the mouth that a per[son] c[ou]ld almost leap across'.
Dates: 1869

Note about a dun on Tarasaigh/Taransay, 9 July 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/43
Scope and Contents Note about a dun on Tarasaigh/Taransay giving its dimensions as seventeen yards in diameter and describing the remains of it as the foundations 'all a grassy mound' on the slope of a hill and how a narrow passge leads from the outside to the centre. It was said that Dùn Loch an Dùin could be seen from this dun so that it 'Must have been 100 f[ee]t high'. Carmichael notes that there is 'A lump of a hill betw[een] these two duns' and that Capt[ain] Thomas made a plan of the dun some years before...
Dates: 9 July 1870

Note about Crann[o]g nien Ri L[och]lann, September 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/147
Scope and Contents Note about Crann[o]g nien Ri L[och]lann [Crannog nighean Rìgh Lochlainn/Dùn Crannag] that it is situated at Crannag [Barraigh/Isle of Barra], which is where the placename comes from. A dun was built for here there but the roof was filled over and the people inside were killed. It is mentioned in the poem 'Tha Chr[a]n[na]g fo chlachan an duin'.
Dates: September 1872

Note about Dùn an Daill, South Uist and fish caught around it, c1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/69
Scope and Contents Note about Dùn an Daill, Airi an Rugha, Iocar, South Uist [Airidh an Rubha, Ìochdar, Uibhist a Deas] and fish caught in the loch around it [Loch an Daill] by Finlay MacLeod, [pensioner, Àird Mhòr/Airdmore] including herrings and flounder and that the reddish colour of the smalag [cuddy] comes from the moss in the loch. Also notes that sea-water [sal] comes into the water on the spring tide.
Dates: c1872

Note about Dun Domhail [Dùn Dhòmhnaill], c1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW122/119
Scope and Contents Note about Dun Domhail [Dùn Dhòmhnaill] that is is where Donald, Lord of the Isles held a council twice a year and there 'An Cala' is in a field near this.
Dates: c1892

Note about Dun Loch Uisealan, 26 March 1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/29
Scope and Contents Note about Dun Loch Uisealan [Dùn Uislean, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist] that it is situated at Uchd na Sithein in Airdnamòine [Àird na Monadh/Ardnamonie] and that all that is left of it is a tor.
Dates: 26 March 1872

Note about Dun mac Spiath, August 1903

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW178/16
Scope and Contents Note about Dun mac Spiath, that it is where one of the Feinne [Fenians] is buried, describing its position and the land around it adding 'The Feinne hero could not have a finer grave or vie just above Loch Duaich some 300 or 400 feet' [Dùn Mac Spiath and Loch Duich, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty]. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: August 1903