University of Edinburgh (Scottish University)
- Existence: 1583-present
The University of Edinburgh was established by Royal Charter in 1582. It was originally called Tounis College, when part of a legacy left by Robert Reid, Bishop of Orkney in 1558 had established a college of which the Town Council had gained control to establish a College of Law on the South side of Edinburgh. The inception of the University took place in 1583. In 1617 when King James VI of Scotland (I of England) visited the College it was decreed that the College should change its name to King James' College, although the College continued to use the older title. The first change in the corporate body of the University was not until 1935 when the first merger took place. This was between the Faculty of Divinity of the University of Edinburgh and New College. This was due to the re-union of the Church of Scotland in 1932.The next merger was in 1951 when the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School was reconstituted as part of the University of Edinburgh. The Royal (Dick) Veterinary School achieved full faculty status in 1964. In 1998 Moray House Institute of Education became the Faculty of Education.
The first classes of the university were held in Hamilton House known as the Duke's Lodge. In 1582 a site that included St Mary in the Fields was acquired. Many new buildings and extensions were made to the site of Hamilton House after 1616. Two prominent stages of building for the University were those undertaken by Robert Adam and William Playfair. In 1869 the site next to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was acquired. Building on this project was completed by the end of the 19th century. The University today is situated around these areas in the centre of Edinburgh and Kings Buildings and there are also campuses at Holyrood and elsewhere.
Teaching began in 1583 under Robert Rollock, with a four year course in arts to gain a masters of arts. When Rollock was appointed as the first principal of the University, there were four Philosophy regents and one regent of Humanity, whilst Rollock specialized in Divinity. Until the beginning of the 18th century the University remained essentially an Arts College, with a Divinity School attached. Throughout the 17th century the Chairs of Divinity, Oriental Languages, Ecclesiastical History and Mathematics had been created. By the end of the 17th century there was also regular teaching in Medicine, and sporadic teaching in Law. The University was at the centre of European Enlightenment in the 18th century. By 1722 a Faculty of Law had been established. The first medical Chair had been established in 1685 and was closely followed in the first half of the 18th century by six more. Four more medical Chairs were created in the 19th century. New Chairs in other Faculties were not established after 1760 until the latter half of the 19th century when they followed in rapid succession, continuing in the 20th century, which include those produced by the mergers with New College, the Royal (Dick) Veterinary School and Moray House Institute of Education.
The University was governed by the town council until the Universities (Scotland) Act of 1858, when it received self governing status. The archaic teaching and management system of regents was abolished in 1708. The 1858 act dramatically changed the constitution of the University. A University Court and General Council were introduced which decided on matters and management pertaining to the whole University. The Senatus Academicus was already in place before 1858and this managed academic matters, but answered to the Court and Council. This system is still used.
The University of Edinburgh provides validation for a Master of Fine Arts that has run jointly with Edinburgh College of Art since 1943. A joint chair, the Hood Chair of Mining Engineering was established in 1923 with Heriot-Watt College which became Heriot-Watt University.
In 2002, the structure of the university was altered substantially, with the abolition of Faculties and the creation of the College of Humanities & Social Science, the College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine and the College of Science & Engineering. Departments were replaced by Schools within each Faculty.
Found in 134 Collections and/or Records:
Material relating to James S. Robson
Scope and Contents The material in the collection is composed of: a list of candidates selected for Rockefeller Medical Studentships, 1942; a letter dated 3 June 1942 from the Universities Bureau of the British Empire indicating that travel arrangements had been made for passage to the USA; a typescript copy of the thesis entitled Fluid retention in patients with chronic liver disease by James S. Robson, M.B., Ch.B. (Hons), and with tables and figures to the thesis; and, a summary of...
Material relating to John Dover Wilson, Regius Professor of English Literature
Scope and Contents Collection contains: 1 x recipe book 1 x notebook: 'Ye monthly Brer', from January 1894 1 x bundle assorted postcards (11) send from John Dover Wilson to Dorothy Baldwin before their marriage in 1906, being illustrations of: Bernard Shaw, Henrik Ibsen (2), Walt Whitman, Rudyard Kipling, Charles Darwin, John Ruskin, Professor Huxley, John Burns, G. F. Watts, and cartoon 'Our...
Material relating to the career of Peter McIntyre, Editor of the Edinburgh University Calendar, and former Clerk to the University Senate
Scope and Contents The material relating to Peter McIntyre's work with Edinburgh University is composed of the following: a) 3 x letters from Laurence Olivier: 16 June 1964; 5 July 1964; 29 July 1965 b) Pamphlet entitled 'The Robes' by Peter McIntyre c) Pamphlet entitled 'The Old College' by Peter McIntyre d) Notes for a pamphlet on the Old College Statuette (Sir Cowasji...
Material relating to the study life of Marion Donaldson Wishart (b. 1903)
Scope and Contents Two bronze medals - University of Edinburgh:
1927-1928 - Economic Geography - Marion D. Wishart
1928-1929 - Banking - Marion D. Wishart M.A.Both medals are in presentation cases: black leatherette, with dark blue inset for medals, and silk-lined hinged lids. The name: Alexander Kirkwood & Son / Medalists / St. James Square / Edinburgh
Material relating to the University studies of James K. Watson
Scope and Contents The scrapbook or album (commonplace book) contains class cards, class certificates, notes and other printed matter relating to the study period of James Kenneth Watson at Edinburgh University - covering 1888-91, and subjects such as Chemistry, Practical Chemistry, Anatomy, Practical Anatomy, Anatomical demonstrations, Botany, Natural History, Institutes of Medicine, Practical Physiology, Practical Pathology, Practical Materia Medica, including Pharmacy, Materia Medica, General Pathology,...
Material relating to Thomas Archibald Campbell Brownlie B.Sc. (Engineering), Edinburgh 1935
Scope and Contents Material from Edinburgh University period, 1930s: - 6"-ruler - 'The Pupil's Own' - University of Glasgow - Prelim' Exam' Papers on Arts, Science, Medicine - 1932 - Edinburgh University note-books - 1934 largely - Strength of materials; Field work lectures; Field work; Hydraulics; Drawing - Class certificates - Edinburgh University, 1932-35 - Dynamics;...
Material relating to University Sailing club and University Regatta (Cameron Trophy)
Scope and Contents The material is collected together into several organised components covering years 1988-2007, and these include club business 1988-1996, 1996-1997 and 1997-2003, club handbooks and membership lists 1989-2004, Cameron Trophy bank statements 1987-1989, Cameron Trophy correspondence and accounts 1984-1995, 1995-1998, 1999-2003 and 2004-2007. The collection contains: letter and email correspondence, various newsletters includingSatisfactorily moist..., financial reports and balance sheets, cheques...
Material relating to William V. Stevens
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-13, Folder: Coll-1241 / E87.56
Scope and Contents The material includes: copies of papers relating to a Complimentary Dinner held in February 1967 for the Rt. Rev. R. Leonard Small, OBE. DD. and these are composed of final arrangements, guest list, and note of the proceedings, as well as photographs and menu for the event. a copy of a list of players in the Edinburgh University Association Football XI, 1925-1930, and a copy of arrangements for...
Matriculation of Arms: University of Edinburgh
Item — Box: EUA GD4; EUA CA10
Identifier: EUA CA10
Scope and Contents Certificate awarding heraldic arms to the University of Edinburgh.
Medals and Honours awarded to Sir George Taylor
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-939
Scope and Contents The collection of Medals and Honours is composed of the following awards: 1 x Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh / German (Junior), Session 1911-1912, Awarded to Annie J. Whitson (bronze medal in presentation case, Alex'r Kirkwood and Son, Medalists, 9 St. James Square, Edinburgh) 1 x Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh / German (Intermediate), Session 1912-1913, Awarded to Annie J. Whitson (bronze...