Skip to main content

Story entitled 'Creag Earnaig', 1894

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW1/51

Scope and Contents

Story written down by John Ewen MacRury, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula entitled 'Creag Earnaig' describing how Creag Earnaig got its name. The location is described as about two hundred and fifty yards north east of the Female Industrial School Torlum Primary School, Cnoc na Monadh/Torlum, Beinn na Faoghla/Benbecula]. The stones were once a Danish princess called Earnag, her son and midwife, who had been turned to stone by Earnag's wicked stepmother, who had followed her to Scotland, where she was to stay for her 'encoachment or "leaba suibhla"'. The stepmother was afriad that Earnag would bear a son who would inherit the kingdom and so turned them to stone.

Dates

  • 1894

Language of Materials

English Gaelic

Conditions Governing Access

This material is unrestricted.

Extent

From the Series: 114 folios ; 14 x 20 cm