Subject Source: SssScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 233 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Note about Lighe sgeir that it is 'on a line between Musdail and Bearnaray' [Liath Sgeir, Eilean Musdile and Bernera Island, all Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire], it was where rock was quarried for gravestones in Iona [Ì Chaluim Chille], that the quarrying marks are still visible and that the rock itself is visible at half tide opposite Cailleach [Campber].
Dates: September 1870
Scope and Contents Note about Loch Coire an Lochain, that it is the highest and biggest tarn in Scotland and is situated in Braeriach [Bràigh Riabhach, Siorramachd Inbhir Nis/Inverness-shire]. Text has been scored through in pencil.
Dates: October 1892
Scope and Contents Note about moving stones from Bo na Cille [Bodha na Cille, Na Hearadh/Isle of Harris] that Donald MacLennan, shepherd to the minister at Scarista [Scarasta] lifted stones up from there, describing it as 'a large plot black with stones + sea weed'. Also notes the Kille-bhride is the name of Clad[h] Scarista [Cille Bhrìde, Cladh Scarasta or Cladh Baile na Cille].
Dates: November 1873
Scope and Contents Note which reads 'Na Bardaibh near Abric [Abriachan] and Innse Bard Chluaini Iobartan - all low lying places', possibly referring to places of sacrifice.
Scope and Contents Note about Na Druinnich, stating that they 'built all the duns in these isle[s]. They were their places of defence against the attacks of the Lochlannaich [Vikings]' and listing the places in Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Barraigh/Isle of Barra, Bhatarsaigh/Vatersay and Beàrnaraigh/Berneray where the Druinnich lived.
Scope and Contents Note about 'Ob nan Currach' [Òb nan Curach, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty] probably collected from John Fraser, crofter, Balgy [Balgaidh, Ros is Cromba/Ross and Cromarty], age 69, which states that it was 'just below the Manse of Comaraich [A' Chomraich/Applecross] - a lagoon now grass rushes and sealastair [irises]'. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 17 September 1909
Scope and Contents Note about place-names around Loch Tangasdail [Barraigh/Isle of Barra] including An Lèig [Loch an Doirlinn] 'the lakelet below Loch Tangastal', Abhuinn Bhan [Abhainn Bhàn], which runs from Loch Tangasdal to the sea and Abhuinn nam breac [Allt nam Breac], which 'comes into Loch Tangastal from the west'.
Scope and Contents Note about place-names on Ìle/Islay probably collected from Donald Currie, crofter, Baile Meadhanach/Ballymeanach, which reads 'Airdbheala, Port Bheala or speala. W[est] of P[or]tnahaven Isla Cala.'
Dates: June 1887
Scope and Contents Note about places and natural history on Loch Etive, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire including that Port Luinge Mhic Dhughail is close to Ru-na-Creaige and that there was a building on E[ilean] Uisleachan [Port Luinge Mhic Dhughaill, Rubha na Creige and Eilean Uisneachan]. Carmichael also describes long stepping stones like eels and 'ducks of long bills nesting in these isles'. He also mentions Leac-nam ban nigheadadaireac (sic) [Leac nam Ban Nigheadaireachd] as relating to washer-women.
Scope and Contents Note about places around Loch Nell [Loch nan Eala, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] including Eilean Nighean, Loch Nell House, Croc a Chronain and Loch na Dunach [Cnoc a' Chrònain, Loch na Dùnach]. It states that Eilean Nighean Loch na h-Eala was a hiding pace for a girl [unnamed], that the island had trees and it was beautiful. Loch Nell House 'stood on east side in beaut[iful] hollow under Pretty spot'. The note also mentions 'Bodaich Thorr an Tuirc' and 'Muinntir Srontoilleir'.